April 19, 2024, 04:40:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Request Assistance Finding Resources  (Read 3827 times)

Offline blake_jl

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Request Assistance Finding Resources
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:34:30 AM »
Hello,

I am a bit of a car nut and want to experiment making my own wax for my car. I noticed someone else posted something similar here http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=21843.0

I am more looking to learn about the processes from scratch. Because I have never dabbled in this sort of thing before I need to learn and understand how it all works and understand the "lingo".

Can anybody please give me topics or subjects I can search for at the library that would be a good starting point.

Thank you.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
Re: Request Assistance Finding Resources
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:34:08 PM »
I love my 2002 WS6 Trans Am.  I take it to a detailer.  However, these have been passed on to me by friends:

Car Wax Recipe
•   1/2 cup melted ceresin wax
•   2 tbsp melted yellow beeswax
•   2 cups turpentine
•   1 tbsp pine oil
In a double boiler, heat the ceresin wax and beeswax. Stir, then allow to cool just until the mixture starts to harden. Stir in the turpentine and pine oil. To use, apply with a rag: polish with a soft cloth.
NOTE: To avoid overdrying, wax your car one section at a time.

Car Wax Recipe:

A carnuba based homemade car wax recipe. Carnuba is the key ingredient for a good car wax as it provides a very hard protective coating over your car’s paint.

1 cup linseed oil
4 tbsp. carnuba wax (available at automotive stores and available online)
2 tbsp. beeswax
1/2 cup vinegar

Car Wax Recipe:

Mix a couple table spoons of  kerosene in about 1/2 gal water takes off road tar and leaves a good wax shine and doesn't harm car finish or paint.

Most of the auto forums have tons of these recipes/formulas.  Just search for one that is specific to your model of car.  I like www.fquick.com.  there are many groups that are specific to various makes/models of vehicles.  ;)

Sponsored Links