April 28, 2024, 10:23:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A BzO group? benzoyl?  (Read 13622 times)

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
A BzO group? benzoyl?
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
Can someone tell show me the structure of a BzO group or at least tell me what it is?  I came across it as a leaving group in palladium allyl chemistry (similar to OAc or OCO2Me). I am assuming it would be just benzoyl wouldn't it? good delocalization of negative charge making it a good leaving group? here is an example of its use in total synththesis.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: A BzO group? benzoyl?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:10:29 PM »
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline lutesium

• Mole Snacks: +8/-24
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:45:12 PM »
As far as I can imagine its not a good leaving group but it may form a complex with the Pd catalyst and upon deprotonation of a-Carbon of the Carboxylic Acid w/LDA it may also bond to the catalyst by oxidative addition and upon reductive elimination of these two molecules the product + Bz-OH occurs. These are just guesses (I have got no references)...

Tried to help.

Lutesium...

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:01:03 AM »
As far as I can imagine its not a good leaving group but it may form a complex with the Pd catalyst and upon deprotonation of a-Carbon of the Carboxylic Acid w/LDA it may also bond to the catalyst by oxidative addition and upon reductive elimination of these two molecules the product + Bz-OH occurs. These are just guesses (I have got no references)...

Tried to help.

Lutesium...

Thanks for your help.  i respectfully disagree though because OAc groups have been shown to be great leaving groups in palladium-allyl chemistry (as well as other eta-3 complex forming metals). the reason it is a good leaving group is because the negative charge it would form would be delocalized onto the oxygen on the carbon over (like a carboxylic acid), as well as being near an EW phenyl group.  the LDA is there to deprotonate the other, huge reagent, between the ester and the amide, forming a nucleophile, nucleophilic enough to attack the palladium eta-3 complex but soft enough to minimize elimination (due to basicity)

Offline lutesium

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
If you know it why are you asking then :)
For verification purpoes?

Lutesium...

Offline lutesium

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »
But as much as I know Bz groups are used are protecting groups. And even upon hydrogenation it leaves a OH- + BzOH. I still insist that it has got something to do with Pd catalyst.

Lutesium...

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »
G-bones is right on this one.  Carboxylates are good leaving groups for the formation of palladium pi-allyl complexes.  Certainly acetates are more common, however.

Also, benzoates are not reactive under hydrogenation conditions.  Benzyl ethers will be cleaved (to toluene + HO-R).

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »
If you know it why are you asking then :)
For verification purpoes?

Lutesium...

haha I asked because i didnt know what a BzO group was, but once I found out from agrobert's post, it all made sense.

Sponsored Links