April 24, 2024, 04:42:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mechanism of pH glass electrode  (Read 9327 times)

Offline BillJames

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mechanism of pH glass electrode
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:10:04 AM »
Dear all,
       After spending hours googling on the topic stated in the subject, I have a general idea of how it works. Could someone please double check whether I am right or not?

Hydrogen ions from the solution (i.e. external) bind to the static oxide ions that are firmly affixed onto the silica network. As it does, a complement amount of Hydrogen ions from the reference also bind to the opposite surface of the silica network. This very amount tells the electrode how much of Hydrogen ions are there outside, and therefore functions to indicate the pH.

*Hydrogen ions = Hydronium ions

Regards,
Bill

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Mechanism of pH glass electrode
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:07:33 AM »
I would rather say amount of the H+ on rhe reference side is constant (as it depend almost exclusively on the H+ concentration). What is happening is that you have different charges on both sides of the glass - separated charges means potential difference, which is a function of difference in H+  concentrations.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline BillJames

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:46:04 AM »
Hmmmm... The H<sup>+</sup> ions of the unknown diffuse into the outer section of the electrode, and the potential difference between the inner and outer section of the electrode is measured? I apologize in advance for the vagueness of my post.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:05:57 AM »
Hmmmm... The H<sup>+</sup> ions of the unknown diffuse into the outer section of the electrode, and the potential difference between the inner and outer section of the electrode is measured?

Something like that. No idea wheter H+ diffuses into glass, or adorbs on the glass, answer depends on whom you ask. However, charge appears on the surfcae, this translates into voltage.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline BillJames

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:49 PM »
Thanks for your replies :) I will bother my lecturer tomorrow... :p

Sponsored Links