April 24, 2024, 04:43:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: help with high-heat reactions and chlorides  (Read 9086 times)

Offline dmiron366

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
help with high-heat reactions and chlorides
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »
I am very far past my high-school chemistry chronologically and can't remember what I need for this issue. I have made some very small firework fountains in the past, follow safety procedures in firing, etc., with simple KnO3 and suagr, adding iron filings or some charcoal powder. I would like to use some of the colorants used in modern fireworks but most of them are chlorides, specifically I am interested in CuCl and Ba Cl. Something in the back of my head tells me that I will get HCl as a combustion product. Am I correct? Most of these compounds are used in aerial fireworks where this may not be an issue. All help, or someone pointing me to a refresher course in calculating reactions, would be appreciated.

Offline mnakhla

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Re: help with high-heat reactions and chlorides
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:48:46 AM »
too tell the truth . you would get a whole plethera of by broducts from any such combustion reaction
if you are using iron or aluminum powder they will strip the cl of the cu..but not the barium...making alcl3 and cu metal...somthing akin to a thermite reaction...but with alot less energy..due to the nature of the chloride bonds...you should really use the nitrates of those compounds or the chlorates/perchlorates they wont interfere...and either way you really dont have to worry about any substantial HCL formation.. But you should do it in a well ventialted area.... and not on a very large scale...especially if you some how get your hands on a perchlorate
Im a freak and Im quite fond of it

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »
First, much of what the above poster says is incorrect.  It is best to start with the chlorides, as fireworks give their color by the molecular ion, not the atomic ion, and those with the best colors are metallic chloride ions.  This comes usually from 'chlorine donors', or chlorine-rich fuels added to a fireworks formula in order to give more of the molecular chloride ions in the flame envelope.  Using the nitrates in place of the chlorides of color-producing metals will wash out the color.  Color production in fireworks was discussed a couple of years ago on the boards:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=3598.0;prev_next=next

The above poster is correct in asserting that the products of firework combustion are complicated, as there is always incomplete combustion and not everything is oxidized to its full potential.  However, most of the metals wind up as the metal oxides or occasionally the metal chlorides (like KCl) when all is said and done.  Where you get a lot of HCl production are with fireworks such as lances, which use ammonium perchlorate as an oxidizer.

If you are interested in making fireworks, I would suggest starting by reading up on rec.pyrotechnics (some of the stuff is junk there, but searching the archives can be very useful), and I would recommend Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics by Tom Peregrin.  Make sure that fireworks are legal in your country, state and jurisdiction before proceeding.

You'll find out, too, that certain materials need to be taken carefully, such as mixing nitrates with aluminum.  Aluminum is a reactive metal, but its hard oxide coating prevents it from oxidizing too quickly.  That oxide coating is eaten away by base, and if the mixture is allowed to become basic (which can happen in a self-promoting exothermic reaction with nitrate salts), the oxide coating can get eaten away and the aluminum can react, causing the entire mixture to spontaneously ignite.  So do some reading.

Of the two metal chlorides you mentioned, copper(I) and copper(II) chloride are both excellent for blue and green flames.  Barium chloride is also used for green, but more is needed, and the barium salt itself is toxic.  By the way, barium chloride is BaCl2, not BaCl.

Offline mnakhla

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:58:59 PM »
Aye, i agree i had no idea what i was talking about there.... i for some reason .or atleast for part of my answer thought you were going to place the chloride in the fuel...although some chlorate salts do make a pretty color... but not as strongly as the chlorides

sorry if i gave misinformation i was answering it going on no sleep :-X
Im a freak and Im quite fond of it

Sponsored Links