April 27, 2024, 10:56:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CDCl3 + silver foil  (Read 7288 times)

Offline superg

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
CDCl3 + silver foil
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:06:04 AM »
hello,
i've got some CDCl3 with a little piece of silver foil in. what this silver foil is for?removing acidity?stabilization?
thanks

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: CDCl3 + silver foil
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:43:04 AM »
hello,
i've got some CDCl3 with a little piece of silver foil in. what this silver foil is for?removing acidity?stabilization?
thanks
Was it sealed when you opened it?  I've never opened a fresh bottle of CDCl3 to find anything but the liquid in it, nor have we ever added anything to our bottles.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 05:24:32 AM »
hello,
thanks
Was it sealed when you opened it?  I've never opened a fresh bottle of CDCl3 to find anything but the liquid in it, nor have we ever added anything to our bottles.

Not even a pinch of K2CO3 to act as a dessicant - or are you doing so much chemistry that the chloroform doesn't get a chance to get wet? ;)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 06:40:24 AM »
hello,
thanks

Could the foil liner of the cap have fallen into the bottle?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »
Not even a pinch of K2CO3 to act as a dessicant - or are you doing so much chemistry that the chloroform doesn't get a chance to get wet? ;)
Nope.  We just have small bottles of CDCl3, we keep 'em in the fridge, and we use 'em when we need 'em.  But we do quite a NMR here...

Offline superg

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 09:56:38 PM »
hello,
the bottle was bought with the silver foil in, it's write on the bottle "CDCl3 with silver foil" on.one guy on a french chemistry forum say to me that it's forum limiting the water in the chloroform, but how silver can do that? i think it's much more for decreasing the acidity of the CDCl3...
bye

Sponsored Links