April 26, 2024, 03:20:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Distillation to separate petrol from Kerosene  (Read 4688 times)

Offline enzyme76

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Distillation to separate petrol from Kerosene
« on: May 02, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »
Hi

I am working on a new project, which will take the interface layer post pipe-line transfers petrol to kerosene and kerosene back to petrol.

Approx 80 Million L per year.

I would be looking to process approx 8 T per hour feed with a 50:50 split of the two. Petrol over the top and Kerosene as bottoms product.

I have a rough Idea that it would require approx 1 MW of heat via an external re-boiler and approx 0.7 mw via the condenser and glycol Chiller for the tops.

I plan to use a two stage condensing system. 1st stage via our current cooling tower water( approx 250 m2) , then second stage via a glycol Chiller system at about 200mw.

I would be looking to use the bottoms product as pre heat for the incoming feed, to approx mid point of the column (1m x 15M, 52 plate bubble cap).

Given that petrol has a boil range of approx 20 Deg c to approx 200 deg C, and Kerosene has a range approx 150 to 250 deg C.

The whole aim of this would be to go for a continuous system, but I would like to still have the option for a still.

i.e. start up batch with X volume in still, get into reflux and then start taking off top and bottoms whilst feeding in.

Given that an external reboiler is planned, the aim would then be to isolate the still and simply run as an external reboiler (approx 150m2)

How practical does this look?

I have access to Aspen one and HYSYS but they are fairly new to me, any advice?

Sponsored Links