April 26, 2024, 10:38:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help me understand. First post so be kind :-)  (Read 5051 times)

Offline munchkiness

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help me understand. First post so be kind :-)
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:37:32 PM »
Ok,
currently studying my chem segment on my university science course,

Question is:

Zinc and element X form a solid compound which has the chemical formula Zn3X2 The compound reacts with waterr to produce the aqueous ions Zn2+, OH- and a gas XH3
Write a balanced chemical equation to represent this reaction including the physical states of the reactants and products in your equation. Identify element X which lies in the second row of the periodic table.

Now, i worked out that the chemical equation would be:

Zn3X2 (s) + 2H2O (l) = 3Zn2+ (aq) + OH- (aq) + ZXH3 (g)

I  thought the element X would be phosphorous, but im guessing thats wrong as its on the 3rd row of the periodic table.

Firstly is the balanced equation correct? if not where have i gone wrong, and secondly, How do i work out which compound forms a solid with zinc? I've read and re-read my text books, and its all confusing.

P.S. I study at home and my tutor out the country for the next 10 days or i would of harrassed him into helping :-)

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
Re: Help me understand. First post so be kind :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:41:29 PM »
Zn3X2(s) + 3H2O(l) -> 3Zn(OH)2(s) + 2XH3(g)
Zn(OH)2 is precipitated so, to make the basic solution, the agent must be XH3 -> X must be nitrogen
NH3 + H2O --> NH4+ + OH-
Genius is a long patience

Offline munchkiness

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »
thanks for answering so quickly, but can you explain so an idiot ( ME ) can understand for future similar questions.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:30:57 AM »
Zn(OH)2 is precipitated so, to make the basic solution, the agent must be XH3 -> X must be nitrogen

This logic doesn't make any sense, even if  X seems to be nitrogen. No connection between solution basicity and X identity.

Let's start with the original reaction equation, as posted by munchkiness:

Zn3X2(s) + 2H2O(l) = 3Zn2+(aq) + OH-(aq) + ZXH3(g)

First of all - it is not balanced yet, and there is something wrong on the far right - no idea what ZXH3. But let's just ignore it. Your products are more or less correct - and as vhpk correctly signalled, you have Zn2+ and OH- in the same solution, knowing a little bit about solubilites you should be able to identify that they will immediately form insoluble Zn(OH)2.

The simplest approach to identify X is to look at the second row of the periodic table and at the Zn3X2 formula. We know Zn is divalent, there are three Zn atoms, so they hava 6 bonds. The same number of bonds must be created by 2 atoms of X. This means X is trivalent. Which non-metals can be trivalent? Only those from 5th column. There is only one element that is both in 5th column and 2nd period. And if you take a look at its chemical properties you will see that zinc nitride and ammonia fit the question perfectly.

If you will look further, you will find that the reaction of zinc nitride and water doesn't yield Zn(OH)3... But that's a lesson on using Google and wikipedia.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline feiying

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »
I like Borek's style, couldn't have said it better.

Offline washey

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »
Study this yourself to see if this makes sense to you. From what I can see, this is an Oxidation reduction reaction. Element X appears to be Oxygen. Find a section in your book that gives the deatils on this type of reaction. That section should give you direction is how to identify the types of reactions, and how to balance them as well.

Offline munchkiness

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
Firstly, just noticed an error in my original post, equation should have read:

Zn3X2(s) + 2H2O(l) = 3Zn2+(aq) + OH-(aq) + 2XH3(g)

But it was late and i was tired so my eyes read the Z as a 2.

Gone back over my text books as washey said, and found a small paragraph which gave me some idea of what im supposed to do.

(still unsure of how to work out the element X though)

I am reasonably sure now that is not a metal, and if its on the second row as the original question asked, is going to be either C, N, O, F, Ne.

So, is the above equation balanced now?

and finally, Big thanks guys, Expect more questions off me soon.

Sponsored Links