April 25, 2024, 09:27:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Geometry of isotopes  (Read 7515 times)

Offline occam

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Geometry of isotopes
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »
I am new to this forum, Please redirect me if this topic has been covered before.

Generally, elements are classified with a particular crystal configuration.
However some have many stable isotopes with several "A" numbers, with the same chemical "Z" number, e.g. Phosphorus, Sulphur,  Zinc, etc.

Do these Isotopes have the same crystal configuration, or are the Isomers an indication of different crystal arrangements?

occam

Offline gippgig

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
Re: Geometry of isotopes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »
They should have the same crystal structures. Different isotopes usually show only slight differences in behavior. The only really large effects that I'm aware of are radically different behavior of liquid 3He & 4He (because of the spin difference - 3He is a fermion while 4He is a boson - hmm, has anyone considered that the solid forms might have different crystal structures?) and a much higher thermal conductivity of pure 12C diamond compared to natural diamond (which contains 1.1% 13C). Does anyone know of any others?

Offline occam

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Geometry of isotopes
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:33:18 PM »
Thanks for that.
It would appear that the atomic geometry is determined by the electron structure independent of the nuclear structure.
I asked because I have done some analysis which suggests that Isotopes are not "versions" of a chemical element.
Attached is an extract from a paper I am writing.
I would appreciate your comments

Sponsored Links