April 26, 2024, 06:07:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Con-Man from this forum  (Read 22204 times)

Offline Jeff1

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Con-Man from this forum
« on: May 06, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
Hi Guy's
I became a member on this forum last week and a few of you guy's kindly helped me out and for that I thank you very much.
I know I have probably posted in the wrong section but its this section that will have most impact, Mods please feel free to delete or move it, I just feel its worth pointing out to the members that there is a conman using this forum as a cover up.

However today I received an email form a someone claiming to be a  member of this forum, Now if he is or isn't then he is still a conman.
This guy must think I fell out of a banana tree and landed on my head.

This is the email I had from him.
From Chemistry Forum Member

Letter of Relationship and Establishment Aid.
Abidjan Cote d' Ivoire.
Tel : +22507924282
For logistic reason contact me on e.mail:(nkomartka@yahoo.fr)
Attention: Respectful
Greetings and How are you Dear Friend. I am Nkomo Kamara from Cote d' Ivoire (Ivory Coast)in West Africa.Please  I would like you to kindly permit me to apply through this medium for your cooperation  to secure an opportunity to invest and do joint relationship and establishment with you in your country. I got your contact address From Chemistry Forums  Memberlist.
Hence  I have  substantial capital which I honourably Inherited from my late father Chief Kamara Emile  Doudou who was the minister of Interior and also have Cocao and Coffee plantation and deals in Gold, Diamond mining and Trading in bouake Northern District of Coted' Ivoire (Ivory Coast) in Western Africa. Before the Epmigo rebels killed him during the political crisis on the  mutiny rebellion upraising that equally lead to the death of former military junta Robert Guei.
I am contacting you because of my need to deal with honest person whom I can lay trust and personal confidence on with hope that he will not let me down,because since the murder of my father,I have been subjected to all sorts of harassment and intimidation with lots of negative reports emanating from the rebellion people due to this political crisis we are facing which have resulted to war in some part of our country Cote d' Ivoire since this past years.
I legitmately inherited this sum from my late father who died recently and I intend to invest this money in profitable areas in your country into a very lucratives business venture of which you are to advise and execute the  venture over there for the mutual benefits of both of us.
Most especially is for you to help me come over to your base if possible for You be able co-operate with me to become my business partner in your country and create ideas on how  money will be invested, properly managed and the type of investment after the money  is transferred to your custody with your assistance.I inherited this sum from my late father  whom the rebels killed because he was not supporting their selfish interest to topple the president Gbagbo the present president of Cote d' Ivoire.
I want to consider my situation and reply me on the indication of your willingness to  handle this transaction sincerely by protecting my Interest and upon your acceptance of this proposal.I will furnish you with the full details information, procedure on how to continue.The exact amount involved is the sum of Nine Million Five Hundred Thousand  USD ($9.500.000.00)USD
If you accept to associate with me,both of us will mutually agree on your percentage interest and share holding for helping me to secure the release of the deposit and investing the money into  lucratives profitable venture in your care.I will be glad to reserve this respect and opportunity for you if you so desire to relate with me with good mind and honesty. I do urge  you to kindly give this matter your immediate attention and the maximum seriousness it deserves for the smooth achievement of the aim.
I want you to be rest assured that everything is in order and legitimate it was due to the political crisis in our country that have resulted to war in some part of our region which have cause everybody to find a way of geting out from  the country,for this reason I use this medium to request for your assistance with hope that you will not let down the confidence I have already reposed on you.
This money is legitimately acquired by my late father from sales of Cocoa and Coffee and Diamond dealings. If it interests you Please forward your reply including your telephone number and fiscal address to my private email address so that I can provide you with more clarifications and details about it all.
Looking forward for your prompt response on e.mail:(nkomartka@yahoo.fr)
Thanks for your understanding and future cooperations.
Sincerely
Nkomo Kamara
Abidjan Cote d' Ivoire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Découvez le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger : appelez vers des téléphones en France et à partir de 0,012 €/minute ! Téléchargez la version beta.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Con-Man from this forum
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »
The spammer got your email because you make it available to the public on these forums.  The easiest way to prevent this is to make your email private.  If someone from these forums needs to contact you, they should just send you a PM, there's really no reason for people to be able to see your email.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 09:03:29 AM »
Hmm..   my e-mail is private and I got something similar a couple of years ago through a PM on this forum. I reported it to the mods.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:33:52 AM »
In your profile in "Account Related Settings" there is a checkbox titled "Hide email address from public?" - I have changed it for you to hidden now, but up to now it was visible to anyone.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Jeff1

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Thanks Guy's, I usually do hide my email address, but clearly an oversite on my behalf when I registered.

Its a shame that these cretins have to stoop so low to try and rip people off.

Borek, Many thanks for changing my settings for me, its much appreciated.
Scooby snacks all around I think.

Offline Sharan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »
Heyyy I got similar emailll tooo
""fromkamara nkomo <nkom444@yahoo.fr>
reply-tonkomartka@yahoo.fr,

tonkom444@yahoo.fr,

dateTue, May 6, 2008 at 7:24 AM
subjectFrom Chemistry Forum Member
signed-byyahoo.fr""

I am surely going to hide the email address. =)

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:30:26 AM »
Hi, i was studying for General Paper and came across this example that seems to same as what happened here.

It's about Nigerian Inheritance Scam: http://www.scmagazineus.com/Quartet-nabbed-for-Nigerian-inheritance-scam/article/33190/

Just to let you guys know only! sorry for updating this old post.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:08:48 AM »
Mitch has done a number of things to help out new users of this board, for example blocking poll formation until you've posted once.  However, maybe it's worthwhile to remove the email field from the profile.  Or even block email format from the message board, for example, no Arkcon@spammer.net allowed. Most people are aware that bots patrol the web for personal emails for spamming purposes, but maybe a few, otherwise astute people, are just unaware of the risk associated with posting their email openly. 

I mean, I'd bet most regular users of this board are brighter than the typical US republican party vice presidential nominee  ;D, but for the few that aren't, maybe it's better for the this board's general appearance if we make it a little safer place to visit.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »
Hey Arkcon, could you help me remove my email off my profile? I hid it long long ago but it is still appearing on my profile despite the hide box was ticked in the setting. But so far so good! ;D Thanks!
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »
Try logging out.  I just checked this.  When you're logged in, your own profile shows your email address.  When you log out and view your profile as a 'guest,' the email is hidden.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »
Your email will always be visible to administrators and yourself. If you log out it won't be visible anymore.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »
Oh lol Okie, thanks!

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 10:42:49 PM »
I guess by default not showing the email address to the public would be the best way to go.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »
I guess by default not showing the email address to the public would be the best way to go.

That's what I'd like to see.  Perhaps some people just aren't noticing the Email display status right away.  Some people may be new to the internet, or may be from a different, more friendly for lack of a better word, sort of culture, and want to, or think they need to, appear more personable.  And some people just want attention, "Plz email me for I have wonderful ideal of chemical venture to make much money recharging of most expensive ink cartiges."  And I'd like it if that person were obvious, so I could ignore them, even if they're not running a 404 scam.

A while back people noticed I'd blocked personal messages.  I did that because some high school girl sent a PM response to me -- She'd asked a bunch of "gimmie gimmie" questions, I'd done my usual response that tries to lead to some useful forum dialog, then she just PM's me with her real name, personal email, that's she's 15, and lives in some state in the US.  I was almost stupid enough to PM her back, telling her that her age, gender and location aren't important, and that science dialog should happen on the forum posts -- but I, fortunately, stopped myself.  A parent might have seen it, and not being very net savvy, might not have figured out I didn't initiate personal contact first, or, indeed, even have cared who communicated first.  So you see, the personal contact, isn't often as good an idea as people might think.

This place has a high school forum, and these kids are quite notoriously dumb with regard to personal info, posting links to their Myspace and such.  And parents and municipalities are likewise notorious for not caring about the specifics when problems arise.  I don't run a web forum, so I'm not thinking hard about the specifics in this matter.  But I'd hate to see this board replaced by an apology letter from Mitch, and a plea for funds for his sudden, unspecified, legal support.  ;D
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links