April 28, 2024, 10:06:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Some salt questions *yawn*  (Read 4458 times)

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Some salt questions *yawn*
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
Hi,

I was asked "how do I know a chemical is a salt?". I replied "a salt is formed by the reaction of an acid with a base". The reply to my reply was "OK, but if I am given a compound such as copper(II)sulphate or ammonium hydroxide or copper oxide or magnesium oxide or whatever, can I apply a general rule to determine which are salts and which are not?"

That left me a bit stumped because I thought one would have to think up a suitable acid-base pairing to create the salt. And what if I can't think of a pairing but it does exist?

NaHSO4 is an acidic salt because it can donate protons in solution. Correct?

Although CaCO3 is insoluble in water, if we add acid say hydrochloric, then because carbon dioxide and water are generated and calcium chloride is formed in solution, and calcium chloride is a salt (ha, ha!) then we can say CaCO3 is a basic salt. Is this right??

Ta, Clive

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
Re: Some salt questions *yawn*
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:58:20 AM »
1)  I would call any highly soluble substance that releases a metal ion upon dissociation a salt.  The keys words being highly soluble, dissociates and metal ion.

2)  Are you familiar with equilibrium? If you are, take a look at the 2 Ka values for H2SO4.  Maybe do a quick calculation using an I.C.E. table.

3)  Again, take a look at the Ka of carbonic acid, maybe another quick calculation here would as well.

Just assume 1 molar solutions to keep the calc.s easy 

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »
1)  I would call any highly soluble substance that releases a metal ion upon dissociation a salt.  The keys words being highly soluble, dissociates and metal ion.

I thought that. Then I thought
"what about ammonium chloride?"

Explicitly. Is that a salt? Where's the metal?

Ta

Clive

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »
What about NaOH?

Could be your general rule can be falsified (phew, I am more then sure it can be falsified, we are talking about chemistry), but for ammonium hydroxie, MgO and CuO - are they products of reaction between acid and base? No. Are they salts? No. Is copper (II) sulfate product of such a reaction? Yes. Is it a salt? Yes.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline virus_freak

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »
2) Na2HSO4 is an acid salt because not all of the H+ has been liberated from the Acid

Sponsored Links