April 26, 2024, 08:51:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I need help with naming  (Read 3272 times)

Offline CenturionMonkey

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I need help with naming
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »
Okay, I'm supposed to name arsenic (III) oxide. And I figured it would be As2O3. But when I thought about it I figured, shouldn't As oxidation state be +3 if it's (III) cause it would go over to Kr. But if As is +ve, then O oxidation state must be -ve, meaning it is -6. Cause one has to be +ve and one has to be -ve. So wouldn't it be As2O? I'm really confused, please help.

Also, I'm trying to name PH3. I don't know whether I'm supposed to say phosphorous trihydride or phosphorous (III) hydride.

Please help, I have a test tomorrow.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: I need help with naming
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
It is +3 (though your reasoning is not correct).

Oxygen is usually -2 (except in cases like superoxides). Thus if you have three -2's, and 2 X's, to make it zero (it is a neutral molecule) you need 2 * +3

(2*3) + (3 * -2) = 0

Offline CenturionMonkey

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:56:46 PM »
Thanks, yeah I meant to say:

"if As is going to have an oxidation state of 3, it would be -3. To get to a full shell similar to Kr. If it was +3 it would be like Ca which isn't a full shell. So wouldn't O have to be +6. Cause we can't have 2 negatives. One of the atoms has to have a positive oxidation and wouldn't that have to be O?"

sorry for the confusion.

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:12:39 AM »
Ah ... the wonderfully confusing and almost useless concept of the "full outer shell"

You probably know that sulphuric acid has formula H2SO4

Try and explain the bonding between the sulphur and oxygen atoms in terms of "full outer shells" - but don't try too hard you will just waste your time

Similarly you may know that iron can form Fe2+ or Fe3+ ions. Looking at iron's place in the periodic table if I count to the left until I get a "full outer shell", iron should have a charge of +8. Have a look at Zinc and apply the same logic.

To sort this out one needs to look at bonding slightly differently and the role played by s, p and d orbitals and what constitutes a stable configuration that does not have a "full outer shell".

I recommend Jim Clarke's Chem Guide

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/redox/definitions.html#top

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/redox/oxidnstates.html

Then have another stab at answering the question.

Clive

Sponsored Links