March 28, 2024, 11:01:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Desperate for advice  (Read 4264 times)

Offline AcesHigh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Desperate for advice
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:12:39 PM »
I've spent the entire day in the lab, trying to get steelwool to rust, I put the thermostat up to 70C and got the hygrometer to show an humidity of 94%, and after 5hours, nothing!

I need to write a 4000word essay on an experiment that should have been this one, and the deadline for being done with all lab work is in only 3 weeks! Panic!

Since my topic is Oxidation, and I'm focusing on metals, Cu, Fe, etc. I need to drastically modify/complete change my experiment.

<b>Any ideas on what I could do on the topic Oxidation?</b>

Suggestions are very appreciated! =P

Offline omegasynthesis999

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
Re: Desperate for advice
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »
Does this experiment need to be original or possibly an experiment that has already done before (historical expt)?

Also what types of materials do you have access to? Are we talking high school level lab or college/grad school level lab or homemade stuff?

Offline AcesHigh

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »
Thank you for the reply omegasynthesis999!

It does not have to be original, it's even beneficial if it is not as there will be means of comparison in the discussion. It is however important that the subject of investigation is narrow. Which means that 1 variable is enough to investigate. For example, in my 'failing' experiment i examined the rate of oxidation at different air humidities.

I've got access to a high school lab, we've got the basics, including some equipment handed down from a university across the street including a spectrometer, and 4 decimal scale which could be used the measure the mass increase of oxidation which a fairly good accuracy. Such measurement could be done with electrolysis as well to get even more accurate results.

If you have any suggestion on an experiment i could perform I'm most greatful

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »
I've spent the entire day in the lab, trying to get steelwool to rust, I put the thermostat up to 70C and got the hygrometer to show an humidity of 94%, and after 5hours, nothing!

It will be much faster in water. Have you ever seen piece of sanded iron, exposed to the air? It can be shiny for long, but if there is a drop of water n the surface, it will rust. Make it salty water, and it will rust even faster.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AcesHigh

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 06:48:08 PM »
The oxidation reaction is indeed very fast when there is a just a thin thin layer of water on the iron, however, how can one control it? If it's completely covered it will be very slow. and if i just sprey on a thin layer i've got a very fast reaction as the dihydrogenoxide evaporates. And it will pretty much stop whenever the water has all eveporated. If I just could control this method somehow it would be great!

Maybe I could fill 25ml beakers with several different salts(aq) and then put in an equal amount of steelwool, and make sure that the steelwool is actually completely covered in fluid. Then simply boil the water, and as the water is evaporated see how much iron (III) and (II) oxide I get depending on the salt that was in the water. Although, this would problably be a very quick experiment leaving little time for oxides to form, however the conditions would be ideal..

=/ this is tricky

Sponsored Links