March 28, 2024, 01:18:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What does chemical engineering involve?  (Read 23545 times)

Offline Faisal

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
What does chemical engineering involve?
« on: May 17, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »
hi,
I love chemistry but I hate biology.I was planning to study chemical engineering.But then my physics teacher told me many students drop out of chemical engineering even though they loved chemistry.He said that the students said "chemical engineering is different...its not like normal chemistry".What does this mean?Does this mean chemical engineering is like biology where one has to memorise lots of molecules and names?Thank you

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: What does chemical engineering involve?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:02:37 AM »
More math, less chemistry.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »
Chemical engineering is more geared towards industrial and production, not research.

Lots of math, lots of engineering, with an emphasis on chemistry.

You will have no biology in chemical engineering.

Offline Faisal

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »
I am weak in math and pretty strong in chemistry.So you advice me to not go into chemical engineering?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »
Forget what you are weak in. You can learn what you need.

What are you more interested in doing?

Offline Riley_5000

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
  • Chemical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »
My director says, and I agree, that there two types of chemical engineers: The "clean" and the "dirty".

"Clean" engineers consist of managers, directors, supervisors, etc. They spend most of their time allocating work to the "dirty" engineers. You don't need to know a lot be one of these (If you like money, then that's enough)

"Dirty" engineers, like myself, spend about 60% of their in the office working on design or optimisation or whatever. The 40% is spent on site, commissioning the plant and getting it to run well which usually involves 30 - 40hr days with no sleep or food trudging whatever collosal mess you've just made (sludge blow - out, chemical spill, etc). The money is still good, but you have to be willing to push your body hard, and it is essential to have a good knowledge of mathematics and chemistry (although chemistry can be avoided if you're lucky - I'm not so lucky).

In short, chem eng is loads of fun. The satisfaction of seeing a working plant, which serves as a livelihood for the people who work there amongst other things, and best of all legacy of you which will (hopefully) stand for decades, is beyond description.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Offline ferrari_6691

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
hi, i have the same dilema like Faisal.i like very much chemistry but im not good in math and hate biology.I want to study for chemisty  but i don't know which major should i choose:chemical engineering,food chemistry or only chemistry.which are the differentes of them and what kind of job can i do when i have finished any of these majors.what suggested me?  thanks..

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »
I wish I had taken biology.  I elected to take biochemistry.  My advice for future chemist & chemical engineers:  learn some biology, the world is changing.  Producing gasoline or making plastics is not the only profession out there.  The "Green" movement requires knowledge of the chemistry world and biology world.  Just my two cents.

I wouldn't elect for a chemistry degree, because you fear math.  Physical chemistry & analytical chemistry require math.  You won't be using many differential equations, but calculations are required. 

Sponsored Links