April 24, 2024, 04:13:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: VSEPR Structure for ZnCl2  (Read 28797 times)

Offline NewtoAtoms

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
VSEPR Structure for ZnCl2
« on: May 18, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »
Hello Chemists,

Would someone be so kind to explain to me the geometry of ZnCl2.

When I first draw the Lewis dots for ZnCl2, I see that Zn is surrounded by 7 pairs of e-, two which are bonded to 2 Cl atoms, and then 5 which are lone pairs.

Can anyone explain to me why the geometric shape is linear???  Which according to my textbook is the correct answer.

Thank you for all your *delete me*

New to Chemistry!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: VSEPR Structure for ZnCl2
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »
Vsepr is onlyapplicable for elements of sp blocks. ZnCl2 is in some extend a ionic salt. In water it forms hydrated complex ion containing a different number of chloride anions (up to 4). Solid anhydrous ZnCl2 has 3 polymorphic forms - all of them show ZnCl4 tetrahedral arrangement around Zn atom.
AWK

Offline Valdorod

• Mole Snacks: +13/-5
    • El Paso Community College
Re: VSEPR Structure for ZnCl2
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:41:10 AM »
This being the general chemistry forum and not the inorganic forum, you have to look at ZnCl2 in general chemistry (freshman level) terms.

Zn has a full 3d-sub shell and 2 4s electrons.  For this problem, your textbook shows a linear structure because it ignores the d electrons.  Taking only the 2 4s electrons Zn has two dots each chlorine has 7 for a total of 16 electrons.  Zn has only two electron groups and as such it is linear.

..       ..
:Cl:Zn:Cl:    This makes it an AB2 structure which is linear.
 ..       ..

Valdo

Sponsored Links