April 19, 2024, 04:47:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acetate experiment help needed  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Dergyll

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acetate experiment help needed
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »
Hey everybody

I'm recently doing an experiment involving the crystals of several acetates: Calcium acetate, Ammonium acetate, Sodium Acetate, and Zinc Acetate.

I'am measuring the heat generated/released during the formation of these crystals.

The Sodium acetate crystals are easy to create (as online there are tons of resources on creating "hot ice") with a super-saturated solution. What I want to know is, can I use similar methods on the other acetates to create the crystals, or should I create them in other ways? I dissolve enough of the salt to super-saturate the solution, then cool it down.

Thanks for any help
btw, how do calcium/ammonium/sodium/zinc acetates behave?

Derg

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: Acetate experiment help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »
Google is your friend

By typing "preparation sodium Acetate" "preparation sodium ethanoate" "preparation ammonium Acetate" "preparation ammonium ethanoate"

I found simple answers - especially in wikipedia

Clive

Offline Dergyll

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:32:58 AM »
Well, what I want to know is, how (or can I) do I create crystals with ammonium/zinc/calcium acetate? I already created/measured the crystalization for sodium acetate (it is the easies). Can I use similar methods to create ammonium/zinc/calcium acetate crystals?

I can't seem to find a detailed description of ammonium/zinc/calcium acetate on google/wikipedia, I don't even know if they CAN make crystals.

more help is appreciated
Derg

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:25:36 PM »
Well, what I want to know is, how (or can I) do I create crystals with ammonium/zinc/calcium acetate? I already created/measured the crystalization for sodium acetate (it is the easies). Can I use similar methods to create ammonium/zinc/calcium acetate crystals?

I can't seem to find a detailed description of ammonium/zinc/calcium acetate on google/wikipedia, I don't even know if they CAN make crystals.

more help is appreciated
Derg
I didn't read your original question carefully. I now understand your problem - and of course I don't have an answer.

All I can offer from searching the net is what you probably already know

Ammonium acetate is a chemical compound with the formula CH3COONH4. It is a white solid, which can be derived from the reaction of ammonia and acetic acid. It is available commercially, and depending on grade, can be rather inexpensive.

I am assuming this can be crystallised - but I don't know. I'm of no help here (but you knew that).

Clive

Offline Dergyll

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »
Thanks, I did the experiment with zinc acetate today and it crystallized faster than sodium acetate. I'm going to try it with Ammonium acetate, though I was warned it could cause irritations if not properly handed.

Thanks for the support anyway  :P
Derg

Sponsored Links