March 28, 2024, 07:22:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Relative molecular mass and mole  (Read 7257 times)

magnet

Relative molecular mass and mole
« on: April 05, 2005, 01:14:29 PM »
i'm having some difficulty in solving a couple of numericals. they are:

1. What is the mole fraction of the solute in 2.5 M aqueous solution?
my doubt: to calculate mole fraction of the solute, isn't it essential to know the molarity of the solute? how do i get the molarity of the solute?

2. A solution is 0.15 mole fraction glucose (C6H12O6) and 0.850 mole fraction water. what is the molality of glucose in the solution?
my doubt: molality is no. of moles per 1 kg. no. of moles is weight/mass. how do i get molarity or no. of moles from the given data?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Relative molecular mass and mole
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 08:51:01 PM »
1. the molarity is given: 2.5M. the molarity is the number of moles of solute per unit volume of solution. You need to know the number of moles of solute present and number of moles of solvent present to work out the mole fraction. Molarity gives u the number of moles of solute.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

magnet

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 06:33:06 AM »
thanks! and the second question?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:19:15 AM »
0.15 mole of glucose is dissolved in 0.85 mole of water. The latter is easily converted to mass, so you will have 0.15 mole in known mass of solute. That's what molality is all about  ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

magnet

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 10:01:46 AM »
0.15 and 0.85 are the mole fractions, not the molarity. how do i go abt it?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 10:31:53 AM »
Remember the definitions of MolaRity and MolaLity.  Molarity is number of moles of solute per Liter of solution.  Molality is number of moles of solute per kg of solvent.  So to figure out the molality of a solution, you need the number of moles of solute and the mass of the solvent.  

You're given the mole fraction which states that in one unit of solution, you have 0.15 moles of glucose and 0.85 moles of water.  So in one unit of solution, you have 0.15 moles of glucose and 0.85 moles of water.  If you know the molar mass of water, you can calculate the mass of water in kilograms present in that one "unit" and then EASILY figure out the molality.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

magnet

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 07:27:19 AM »
ah, ok! thanks!

Sponsored Links