March 29, 2024, 03:25:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which chemical solution will dissolve...  (Read 8164 times)

Offline charliemike73

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Which chemical solution will dissolve...
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
Which chemical solution will dissolve cloth/fabric?

I am rewiring an old chandelier which has the old fabric and tar sheathed wires running through it.  These wires pass around many bends making it near impossible to extract the old wire whilst the old tacky sheathing is still there.

I do not want to dissolve the conductive core of the wires, just the covering, the conductive core will pull out easy enough afterwards.

FYI: The chandelier is made of Brass, so the chemical MUST be safe for use on soft metals.

Thank you in advance.
Charlie

Offline charliemike73

Re: Which chemical solution will dissolve...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:54:04 PM »
???

Does nobody know, or am I asking for something that is not possible?
There must be something that will dissolve fabrics but not harm metals.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:37:13 AM »
I am afraid it can be difficult to find something that'll dissolve fabrics. I suppose this is some kind of strong material made of natural fibers? I recall seeing such things in old electrical appliances. If so, these are made of cellulose and I don't think I know any chemoicals that will be able to deal with it in a safe manner.

I suppose better approach will be to look for something that will disslove the tar, or at least make it soft. But the only thing that I can propose is a trial and error - some paint thinners can be good, perhaps naphta. Google dissolving tar.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline charliemike73

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »
Thank you for the insight Borek, I will google as you proposed.

I did google to dissolve fabric, and noted Chlorine Bleach will break down some materials.  What would it do to the tar or the brass?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »
I doubt it will do anything to tar (well, some changes will probably occur, buyt tar will be still sticky as ell). At the same time I am almost sure it will corrode brass surface to some extent.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links