March 28, 2024, 08:36:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How many moles of particles? also electorlytes  (Read 6294 times)

mzpinkbananna

How many moles of particles? also electorlytes
« on: April 05, 2005, 04:55:32 PM »
okay so im studying for my chem test, which is tomorrow and ive run into a problem that has stumped me!
i dont know how to answer this:
How many moles of particles would 3 moles of Na2So4 give in solution?
 im not quite sure how to do this, for some reason i wanted to attmept it by using the 6.02 x 10^23 but i think thats way off track- i tried a couple things but the answers i got were wrong, the answer to this problem should be 9 total moles &i would really appreciate it if someone could help me ASAP

I also was questioning, how to tell weather an electrolyte is an electrolyte, you see i understand that an electrolyte is a solution that conducts electricity, but how can you tell weather or not it conducts electricity without actually testing it?  :o

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:How many moles of particles? also electorlytes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 05:53:56 PM »
I also was questioning, how to tell weather an electrolyte is an electrolyte, you see i understand that an electrolyte is a solution that conducts electricity, but how can you tell weather or not it conducts electricity without actually testing it?  :o

It will conduct electricity if an ionic compound is dissolved in the solution
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:How many moles of particles? also electorlytes
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 08:03:07 PM »
Na2SO4 (s) => 2Na+ (aq) + SO42- (aq)

The above equation describes the dissolution process. One mole of sodium sulphate dissolves to produce 3moles (ie. 2 + 1) of particles in water.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links