June 16, 2024, 12:14:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Flashpoint Safety?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Flashpoint Safety?
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »
I'm doing a reaction with Lauric Acid (165°C), Lauryl Amine(115°C), 1,2-hexadecanediol (183°C), Fe(acac)3 and benzylether (135°C) to create Fe3O4 nanocrystals.  I am to heat the mixture to 300°C at a rate of 4°/min under argon.  I have provided the flashpoints in the parenthesis, as you can see, they are all far below the 300°C reflux temperature.  I've never really encountered this issue before.

All of the items except for the benzylether are solids which are to be dissolved in the benzylether.

So I'm just curious if the flashpoints are something I need to be conscious and careful of, or if they are dissolved are they a non-issue?  However, the benzylether's flashpoint is also below 300°C (it's bp is 298).

I'm just not sure how to proceed cautiously, or what precautions I need to take, if any (probably stems from my limited understanding of a flashpoint too, aside from what I've read on wikipedia).

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +211/-81
Re: Flashpoint Safety?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:29 AM »
Have you ever refluxed acetone, ethyl acetate, ethanol, hexane, methanol, toluene, THF?  All those solvents (along with most other none halogenated ones used in synthetic reactions) have flashpoints below their boiling points.  Most of them have flashpoints below room temperature.

The flashpoint is the lowest temperature which the vapor of a liquid can be made to ignite in air using a flame.

Note the last bit in air with an ignition source.  As you plan to do your prep under argon you be fine.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Flashpoint Safety?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
Have you ever refluxed acetone, ethyl acetate, ethanol, hexane, methanol, toluene, THF?  All those solvents (along with most other none halogenated ones used in synthetic reactions) have flashpoints below their boiling points.  Most of them have flashpoints below room temperature.
Guess I never realized that.
The flashpoint is the lowest temperature which the vapor of a liquid can be made to ignite in air using a flame.
Ah, flame being the key, ok.  Since I'm using a heating mantle, that is of no issue.
Note the last bit in air with an ignition source.  As you plan to do your prep under argon you be fine.
Thanks for the info.  Like I said, I wasn't too sure about the specifics, and i just wanted to double check.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links