April 23, 2024, 02:46:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reactions questions  (Read 5534 times)

Offline prophecy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reactions questions
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »
Are the following reagents added to each reactants correct? I'm pretty sure 1, and 2 correct. For 3, I thought it was just a diacid + diol, polyester condensation reaction.

Download the following JPEG and take a look.

Its appreciated, thanks!

p.s. I have a link that gives information about questions #1 and #2:
http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey/Ch16/ch16-7-2.html

I am just curious because a professor marked these wrong.

Offline prophecy

Re: Reactions questions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:39:25 AM »
"Hydrogen peroxide is frequently used as an oxidizing agent in organic chemistry. One application is for the oxidation of thioethers to sulfoxides." From wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioethers

Under reactions, they say typical oxidants are peroxides.

These are more links for the oxidation of sulfides. I still want confirmation from other people who know this stuff.

Thank you.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
Well, for your first two, according to the website it is correct.  If your professor marked it wrong, the best bet instead of looking for answers here is to talk to your professor...

Offline prophecy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »
Thanks macman for responding to my threads. It's very appreciated.

All of these questions are from an exam I've had in april. I got a lower than i expected in organic chemistry, an 80. I was expecting to get about an 88-90 in the course. Except, I had got a 72 on the final exam. I bought the exam and went through it myself, and there were a few questions i thought he marked incorrect, so I might just petition even if it's for 2-3 marks, it'll increase my final grade slightly. I felt I had gotten an 95 on the final, I didn't expect getting a 72. The professor had told me the average was a 51% though. The final exam wasn't neccessarily that hard for me, or at least I didn't think it was. It was just very long, and he marks it either right or wrong. So it's hard to gain any part marks. This was an introductory organic chem course for chemical engineers.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:45:05 AM »
Thanks macman for responding to my threads. It's very appreciated.
No problem.
All of these questions are from an exam I've had in april. I got a lower than i expected in organic chemistry, an 80. I was expecting to get about an 88-90 in the course. Except, I had got a 72 on the final exam.
Don't feel too bad about that.  That's a pretty decent score for an organic chem course.
I bought the exam and went through it myself, and there were a few questions i thought he marked incorrect, so I might just petition even if it's for 2-3 marks, it'll increase my final grade slightly.
You bought the exam?  Interesting, I've never heard of being able to buy the exam answers from the school like that, unless you bought it differently...I would definitely approach the professor if you think some of the answers are wrong.  Either way you'll verify for yourself the correct answer and if you were wrong, hopefully you'll learn what the correct answer was and gain some knowledge/information.
It was just very long, and he marks it either right or wrong. So it's hard to gain any part marks. This was an introductory organic chem course for chemical engineers.
Yea, when the professor doesn't give partial credit it's hard to get any extra points unless they make a mistake.  Is the class graded on a curve, or is
90% = A
80% = B
70% = C, etc...

Offline prophecy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
80-84 = A-
85-89 = A
90+ = A+

No, you buy the exam for 13$, and it's only a photocopy to check for errors. Either the Prof. added the exam up wrong, or they actually made a mistake in the question. If you petition, and you are right you get your money back and your grade goes up. You also can go down, and no one would want to go down :| That's if he catches another mistake on your paper.

Offline prophecy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »
My professor has responded

Questions 1 and 2 are correct.

Your answers to the oxidation of sulfide to sulfoxide to sulfone are correct, this is my mistake, I owe you 2 marks.

"Yay!"

For question 3.) the polyester synthesis, you need to indicate some kind of reagents or conditions to effect the synthesis, such as H+, heat, -H2O would have been appropriate.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 02:03:52 PM »
80-84 = A-
85-89 = A
90+ = A+
Sounds pretty typical for an orgo course.
No, you buy the exam for 13$, and it's only a photocopy to check for errors. Either the Prof. added the exam up wrong, or they actually made a mistake in the question. If you petition, and you are right you get your money back and your grade goes up. You also can go down, and no one would want to go down :| That's if he catches another mistake on your paper.
I can't believe that your professor charges you for the exam to check for errors like that.  That's ludicrous!

Also, glad to hear that the first two questions were correct.  For the second part, that's a fair response, you needed something to initiate polymerization.

Sponsored Links