April 19, 2024, 10:43:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Planning for/Seeking My First Chemistry Related Job  (Read 23747 times)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Planning for/Seeking My First Chemistry Related Job
« on: May 30, 2008, 07:15:59 PM »
I will have completed 2 semesters of introductory organic chem/gen chem following this coming year of school.  I'd like to get a job with some kind of chemistry related business, either biotech research business, gas company, etc.  What is the likelihood of getting a job in this industry/what is the pay like generally/what types of companies would you recommend me looking into?  I understand that I would most likely be doing mundane carrying out of reactions that I am told to do, or even just moving stock around where it's needed.

Chevron (gas company) recently moved their regional headquarters to my area, so I plan on getting in touch with them this coming Monday to see if they would have any interest.

Thanks for your help,
Nick.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Planning for/Seeking My First Chemistry Related Job
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »
I don't know if you'll find "job jobs", most places I looked at when I was looking for something required a bachelors.  However, you might have better luck getting an internship or something.  I would say that your best bet would be talking to a professor at your college about an internship or something.  Getting some experience with them will probably greatly improve your chances for company employment.

Offline ArlonHR

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:34:34 PM »
I will have completed 2 semesters of introductory organic chem/gen chem following this coming year of school.  I'd like to get a job with some kind of chemistry related business, either biotech research business, gas company, etc.  What is the likelihood of getting a job in this industry/what is the pay like generally/what types of companies would you recommend me looking into?  I understand that I would most likely be doing mundane carrying out of reactions that I am told to do, or even just moving stock around where it's needed.

Chevron (gas company) recently moved their regional headquarters to my area, so I plan on getting in touch with them this coming Monday to see if they would have any interest.

Thanks for your help,
Nick.

Nick, Are you located in the Inland Empire of SoCal (Riverside area)? If so email me at mwilkerson@arlon-med.com.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:50:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply and offer, but I'm about 2200 miles Southeast  :P

Sponsored Links