April 25, 2024, 03:23:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Typical Formulation for Coating  (Read 14784 times)

Offline Nitrous

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Typical Formulation for Coating
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:09:07 AM »
Hi  Friends,
I am looking  ::) for some typical formulation for EPOXY COATING, POLYESTER COATING, etc.
i searched  for it for many days but i didn't get any satisfactory reply :'(.I hope the  people here are capable enough to reply for me. :o

Thank you....
AJU.. :'(<a href="http://" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://</a>

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Typical Formulation for Coating
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:38:34 AM »
More info regarding what the coating need to do would be usefull. i.e. internal /external  coloured/clear waterbased/solventbased etc..   does it need to satisfy any particular performance properties?

Otherwise, just take a simple paint formulation and use your polymer as the binder.

The most simple example of a coating made from your polymer would be to dissolve it in some solvent and then paint it on.  You'll end up with a coating of your polymer on the substrate when the solvent evaporates off.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Nitrous

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:28:16 AM »
More info regarding what the coating need to do would be usefull. i.e. internal /external  coloured/clear waterbased/solventbased etc..   does it need to satisfy any particular performance properties?

Otherwise, just take a simple paint formulation and use your polymer as the binder.

The most simple example of a coating made from your polymer would be to dissolve it in some solvent and then paint it on.  You'll end up with a coating of your polymer on the substrate when the solvent evaporates off.
More info regarding what the coating need to do would be usefull. i.e. internal /external  coloured/clear waterbased/solventbased etc..   does it need to satisfy any particular performance properties?

Thank for your reply,

I dont want to formulate any specific coating. I just want to know, which resin is suitable for coating , what are the other ingredient included in the fiormulation.(General).
I am expecting a right response,
Thank you.

Offline Nitrous

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:29:28 AM »
Thank for your reply,

I dont want to formulate any specific coating. I just want to know, which resin is suitable for coating , what are the other ingredient included in the fiormulation.(General).
I am expecting a right response,
Thank you.

Aju....

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »
Well, a standard paint type coating will consist of things along the lines of:

A binder - Your polymer which holds the system together and imparts features such as water resistance, flexibility, adhesion etc..
A solvent or carrier - to dissolve the polymer into liquid form  (or emulsify in the case of a waterborne)
Fillers and pigments - to impart colour (usually something like TiO2 for a white pigment) and to reduce costs (cheap chalky type fillers to bulk out the paint)
Surfactants - to help disperse the pigment, polymers and fillers.  Also to reduce surface tension to help coverage of the substrate (sometimes called leveling agents to remove brush marks  -  but in essence - surfactants.
Coalescing solvents - to help with film forming and frost protection.

Then any special additives: such as flame retardants, anti graffiti additives, shiny metallic particles, further adhesion promoters or anything else non standard to achieve a specific effect.

Is this the kind of thing your after??  You could try typing "paint formulations" into google to get loads more info.

P.

PS - many differant binders are used with various pros and cons.  Acrylics are popular for water resistance. Epoxies are indeed used. Polyureathanes. Various Co-polymers such as ABS etc...    Read arround a bit on google and you should find what you are looking for.

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline gericox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
Search on http://ep.espacenet.com/advancedSearch?locale=fr_EP It's a patent data base
Using correct key words you'll find what you want

Sponsored Links