March 28, 2024, 11:33:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Flow restricting orifice  (Read 7958 times)

Offline ahmed_saleh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Flow restricting orifice
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:38:28 AM »
I would appreciate any advice regarding my questions about the restriction orifice plates:

1- When sizing such orifices : Is the Beta Ratio limited for this type of orifices? What values to avoid & what are the recommended range of values for Beta Ratio? In other words, Is the desired differential pressure through the orifice to be adpated to the recommended Beta Ratio or vice versa??

2-What is the difference in sizing the restricting orifice plates &  sizing the ones for flow measurment?

Thanks for your assistance.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: Flow restricting orifice
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:16:55 AM »
Hello ahmed_saleh,

I have a few answers, but they may not be as specific as what you are looking for.

1) It really depends the reason for implementing an orifice into your system. When controlling velocity, the size of an orifice is critical. If you are dealing with a limited plate thickness, then you may have to implement pressure stepping.

2) Restricting orifice plates are usually designed for restricting flow, and are usually not refined (and are less expensive). Flow measurement requires delicate measurements and requires matching of flow rates and measuring pressure drops (usually, more expensive due to the more specific nature).

I hope this answers a few of your questions.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Sponsored Links