March 28, 2024, 04:54:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Citric Acid Powder-Vapor Character  (Read 9736 times)

Offline Yoritomo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Citric Acid Powder-Vapor Character
« on: June 13, 2008, 06:39:17 AM »
Hello!

I have Citric Acid as a powder and I plan to make a solution mixing with water. Will the vapors of this solution have acidic character or only H2O will go into gas and Citric acid powder will remain in the bottom of the container?

Any help would be really appreciated!
                         -Kostas.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Citric Acid Powder-Vapor Character
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
Some acids the vapor can be pretty bad, but citric acid is fine.

Offline Yoritomo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »
Hello all!

Enahs, thank you for your reply.Could I ask for a clarification? Are you saying that Citric Acid vapor is NOT acidic, or just that it is slightly acidic?

Does the same happen with shampoo and handwash soaps containing Citric Acid?

Thanks a lot!
               -Kostas.

Offline C6H8O7

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:20 AM »
Citric acid (my name means citric acid btw)

Is safe for human consumption in most forms I have seen.Crystals break down slow so a powder would be better for efficiency in the lab.

There will be no vapor unless you boil it at the melting point for citric acid.At that point I believe it breaks down into another compound anyways.

Basically when you mix it with water the powder will dissolve and you will be left with a homogeneous solution which upon boiling will air distill untill the decomposition point of the citric acid.If all the water is boiled out you should be left with some black crud thats close to the original ph of crystaline citric acid.

Be carefull with citric acid if you are distilling or boiling it the ph gets stronger as fluid evaporates.Possibly adulterating your compounds.

If you are using it for soap I don't believe heat is neccesary ;and if it is; a lot isn't needed for the entire soapmaking process.Your water/citric acid solution should be safe as long as you wear gloves for extended contact and goggles (lemon juice in the eye)No respirator or breathing apparatus is neccesary.

I hope I answered your question.

Sponsored Links