March 29, 2024, 07:09:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: High Temperature Melting Point Determination / DSC/TGA  (Read 10060 times)

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
High Temperature Melting Point Determination / DSC/TGA
« on: June 24, 2008, 06:12:08 AM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to do DSC or TGA runs to very high temperatures such as 1200C or higher?  Our local uni DSC kit goes to about 450C I think.

I want to do a melting point of a glassy char with different additives in it. Our furnace doesn't really get up high enough (around 900C). The char forms around 200 to 300C and forms a refractory like foam which melts around 900 - 950C. I want to do melting point determination on this foam and similar ones with a suspected higher MP. Any ideas? I am up for paying for external tests to be run if the equipment is too expensive for me to buy.

Thanks.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline P

• I am what I am
Re: High Temperature Melting Point Determination / DSC/TGA
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:10:12 AM »
OK - I've now found out there is a machine out that does High Temperature DSC up to 2000C.   This would be perfect, but it's probably a very expensive bit of kit to buy.   I am now trying to find someone with HTDSC whom I can send samples to for testing for a fee.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:37:50 AM »
I think, based on another post of your's, that you're in the UK so try Chilworth Technology in Southhampton they do contract safety analysis etc.  I know they have DSC but i don't known if they have a high temp set up.

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:34:35 AM »
Thanks - I tried them and they don't have the high temp DSC, just run of the mill DSC.  Was worth a try though  -  snackage is in order.

I have found another componay who want to charge huge amounts of money for test runs or they will sell me a machine for around £40,000! Hmm, maybe I'll wait until they are on special offer   ;D.   Most fruitful has been a UK university who will do runs for around £150.  Still more than I had hoped, but if the machine costs £40K then I suppose that's not too bad.

However, I'm sure my samples will fit into small jiffy bag if anyone in the US has access to this type of kit for a better price  (or a couple of scooby snaks!!?. ;D.....was worth a try I suppose!)

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 02:34:20 AM »
I did some searching, I don't think we have one here.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links