March 29, 2024, 05:49:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Who's the boss?  (Read 15166 times)

Offline SM30

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Re: Who's the boss?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »
before you think about starting your own business in chemistry you should probably see what its like to work in a lab. You rarely sit down in deep thought for days on end without getting anything done in your hood. If you're talking about the industry it depends where you work. Most places in big pharma or biotech are going to expect you to work an 8-9 hour day. Some companies have a harder working atmosphere though and you're expected to work 10-11 on average and when you have a deadline to meet you might be burning the midnight oil. Some places actually have a "productivity police" atmosphere and some are more relaxed. I've heard of places where people check each others notebooks to see how much work was done. I work at a place right now where they worry more about the hours. If you start your own lab though you can bet your ass you're working way longer hours than anyone else.

To answer your question its not likely that anyone reprimands you for showing up an hour late one day with a good report (when you're meeting the deadline). Nobody punches a clock in biotech/big pharma. People will keep an eye on if you're around the lab and stuff but as long as you get work done in a timely fashion its OK.

I wouldn't get worked up about being trapped behind a degree either. If you stay in science you can move around. After all your BS education is only 4 years of a 40 year career. It's not going to define your career.

If you want to start your own lab you should also keep in mind that you're responsible for far more than just science. You need to keep tabs on accounting, make sure you're up to code, with the eh&s,..etc.  Those things will all take time out of your lab time.

Offline C6H8O7

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »
Thanks sm30 that answers quite a few questions I was having.These are things that are kind of difficult to find answers to short of asking those who are working there.

Ok now for my next question.If I was needing to complete something else personal for a period of time is there some opportunities for part time employment where a chem degree is useful?Would labs take you on as a part time lab tech or assistant part time.I wouldn't mind a severe paycut so long as the work is still in science related fields.

Notice I didn't say as a chemist so much as someone with a chem degree.

I want to get into a field where if there is a situational change at some point im not resorted to throw out the degree and get a job at mickey d's lol

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »
Everyone hires lab techs, but they're only so useful.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links