April 27, 2024, 12:44:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Using acetic acid to prepare a buffer solution?  (Read 4780 times)

Offline tiny101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Using acetic acid to prepare a buffer solution?
« on: July 01, 2008, 12:42:24 AM »
How would you calculate the volume of 0.100M of acetic acid required to prepare a 60.0mL of a buffer solution with a pH of 4.6?

I've tried calculating the number of moles of H+, then dividing that by the concentration of acetic acid. With that, I got an answer of 0.02 mL which doesn't seem right.

Also, if acetic acid is not used and instead, SODIUM ACETATE is used... would the method of calculation change?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Using acetic acid to prepare a buffer solution?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:43:04 AM »
You have to use Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, and just acetic acid or just sodium acetate are not enough to prepare buffer - you need them both  in the solution. It doesn't mean you have to use them both in preparation - acetic acid plus sodium hydroxide will do.

How would you calculate the volume of 0.100M of acetic acid required to prepare a 60.0mL of a buffer solution with a pH of 4.6?

With buffer calculator ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline chrisf

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Using acetic acid to prepare a buffer solution?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
A weak acid with a strong base will product a buffer solution. Like Borek says, use the Henderson-Hasselbach equation.

pH = pKa + log ([A-]/[HA])

Sponsored Links