April 20, 2024, 06:51:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: otorless paint thinner cleanup  (Read 4349 times)

Offline mds33200

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
otorless paint thinner cleanup
« on: June 15, 2008, 06:18:56 AM »
Hi, at work we have a ultrasonic machine which gets filled with otorless paint thinner, items get put into the machine, the machine gets ran, then the items are removed. Every now and then the paint thinner is removed and filtered, to keep the solutuon clean.

Once and a great while we have to put other chemicals into the machine instead of the paint thinner (for other parts that cant be cleaned with paint thinner), so the paint thinner is drained from the machine. To remove any extra paint thinner on the sides of the machine, the machine is wiped out, and filled with water, mixed arround, then drained. This procedure is repeates once more.

When its drained, I have been draining the water into buckets. That way if there are any paint thinner chemical remains in the water i mixed it with, they will be in the bucket rather then down the drain.

My questions are: 1. is the water ok to pour down the drain? I know you shouldnt pour it down the drain directly, but is it possable the concentration is so low it will be ok?  2. If I cant pour it down the drain, any sugestions how to dispose of it? Probally 5-6 buckets filled now- so I figured since its starting to cause a clutter I would find out what to do with it. Thanks!

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: otorless paint thinner cleanup
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »
Look on the side of the can of the odorless paint thinner. What is it made of?

Offline PolymerKnowHow

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
Look on the side of the can of the odorless paint thinner. What is it made of?

I believe odorless paint thinners are naptha products (heptanes, hexanes, and pentanes).

Offline mds33200

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »
sorry for the delay- after adding 2 more bottles to the pile, I came back to check if a solution was posted. I checked the side of the container, and it says for disposal (the same thing it says for many chemicals, which is lame advice if you ask me) "dispose in accordance with federal state and local regulations".

As far as chemicals, it contains petrolium distillates in the "danger" area of the label. Thats all it mentions though, on the entire back pannel (both sides have spanish writing so cant check there for any other ingredients)

I did notice on the containers that have been sitting, some coagulation on the top layer. It seems the paint thinner is a lighter chemical substance then water, because I can see a fine layer on top of the water, kind of looks like how a drop of oil looks when poured into a cup of water.

If it is semi-dangerous to dispose of down the drain, One option is to put a hole in the bottom of the bucket and when the bucket is almost empty (near the top layer) I can drain that into a seperate container. Do that to all the buckets and it will be less then a gallon, that can be further drained to probally a cup full of contaminites. Sound like a good idea? or a waist of time?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 01:59:26 PM »
When you drain the paint thinner, before washing with water, I would filter the paint-thinner and then just give it to somebody to use in a diesel engine or generator, to be honest. Not the part washed with water though.

But for proper disposal you are supposed to collect it and call a chemical disposal company.

Sponsored Links