April 19, 2024, 02:18:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Application form questions...  (Read 38612 times)

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Application form questions...
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:43:13 AM »
I'm looking at the application form for a Med Chem role (graduate to graduate + a few years experience level here in the UK), and one of the questions asked is "Please list 2-3 areas that you feel are development needs for you in relation to this role".

Now, I feel there's always the need to have an understanding of what happens to my carefully crafted molecule after it leaves my hands and heads over to biology for testing etc, which I feel is one possible answer. But my CV is fairly patchy due to a lot of temp chemistry work with relatively long gaps (up to around a year) in some cases between some contracts. Would something along the lines of "stability  / continuity" be another way of approaching an answer, or does the board feel that this would actually demonstrate being "out of touch" with the way Med Chem is heading  - looking at the recent culls at Pfizer / GSK etc?

Thanks for any thoughts.

S

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Application form questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:05:47 AM »
What does that mean "developmental needs for you"?  Like personal things you need to work on in relation to your job?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:12:11 AM »
Well, that's what I took it (am taking it) to mean - things that if I was given them would make me a better chemist. Be that more productive in sheer numbers of compounds being registered, more able to suggest things based on SAR etc, more able to take on responsibility in general...?

Do you read the question a different way then, or am I just being blinkered in my reading?

Cheers

S

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 05:25:54 AM »
Does the job mearly have you at the bench doing chemistry on your own?

I guess you'll be part of a team so you can talk about interpersonal skills / team working and leadership etc.  Do not focus on the technical details of chemistry too much.  They need somone to fit into their organisation.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:48:55 AM »
Does the job mearly have you at the bench doing chemistry on your own?

I guess you'll be part of a team so you can talk about interpersonal skills / team working and leadership etc.  Do not focus on the technical details of chemistry too much.  They need somone to fit into their organisation.
This is what I think they're talking about.  Not so much chemistry related things, but overall "job type" skills/habits, etc.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:50:35 AM »
Thanks DrCMS and macman104, something to think about over the next couple of days (whilst I find my transcripts etc)...

S

Sponsored Links