April 20, 2024, 12:22:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating the temperature change  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Yahout

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calculating the temperature change
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »
Calculate the temperature change which will be caused by each of the following processes.

0.60 moles of NH4Cl are dissolved in 1.00L of water.

I tried to ask this question on yahoo answers as well but everyone said that I am missing information in order to perform the calculations. This is the only informaiton given in the problem so either I need to find the S.H. of the compounds on my own or I need to wait and see if the temperatures was left out on accident for one of the compounds.

Offline Ipodlover

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Calculating the temperature change
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:06:54 PM »
First write the balanced equation.
H2O(l)+ NH4Cl(aq) ----->  NH3(aq)+ H2O(l)+ HCl(aq)

Next know how many moles of water you will using, 18g is one mole, so limiting reagent here is your NH4Cl.

Now the only way i can think of is to use hess's law. find out how many kj/mol you will get from NH4Cl, and NH3 and HCl (usually the back of your textbook has this info), then add them up you will end up with xKj/mol for your reaction overall.

We know that one joule will heat up one ml of water by 1kelvin. so one kilojoule will heat up one liter of water by 1 kelvin (Assuming STP and (25C or 298k)).

I think this may work, i took this class long ago, but if this rings the bell then try it.

Sponsored Links