March 28, 2024, 06:24:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Glyphosphate main ingredient  (Read 13989 times)

Offline gm mutant

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Glyphosphate main ingredient
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. I am just a regular girl who sometimes has questions that I cant answer. I hope my brain picking will be ok here!

I have been reading alot about glyphosphate, Gm crops and Monsanto.
My question is: Does anyone know what monsanto use as their main ingredient when making Glyphosphate. It could be purely chemical and man made for all I know, but perhaps there is a main ingredient.....you never know till you ask..

Can anyone help? Does anyone know?

Thanks everyone

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: Glyphosphate main ingredient
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »

Offline gm mutant

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »
 :-[ :-[ :-[...yes you are right...the chemical also known as roundup I am after info on....

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »
I would be really surprised if they made it themselves. They probably just buy it from a chemical supplier.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:00:38 PM »
Um... Monsanto is a chemical supplier.  Before they started making GM plants, they made pesticides and herbicides.

Offline gm mutant

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:52:11 AM »
so does anyone know what they use to make roundup then? is there a main source..
I am a bit cross with monsanto.....they are trying to globally dominate seed crops to be resistant to there chemicals....absurd world we live in..

i just wonder if the ingrediants of roundup are harmless before made into glyphosate

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:52:42 AM »
Why wouldn't a company make their plants resistant to their most common pesticide?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:56:49 AM »
:-[ :-[ :-[...yes you are right...the chemical also known as roundup I am after info on....
Well read the link i gave you then.

so does anyone know what they use to make roundup then? is there a main source..
gylphosate is a single chemical see the link I gave you. 
Roundup contains other ingredients aswell

i just wonder if the ingrediants of roundup are harmless before made into glyphosate

Its made by a chemical reaction and formulated with other things.  Some of those starting materials may be harmless or very toxic.

What is it you really want to know?

Offline gm mutant

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:03:28 AM »
honestly...what i want to know is who supplies this company with what products to make the product roundup....i think boycotting these people however i can would be a great idea.
I dont agree with the fact that the company is making roundup resistant plants...why they dont spend money on trying to give the weeds a genetic mutation so they dont grow instead i dont know.....i dont like the idea of the food that we fuel our bodies with, being genetically mess3d with, so a company can ensure that they make money into the future...I have  3 year old that i am worried for.

I will read the links now...thanks everyone

Offline gm mutant

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »
ok....this seems relly weird to me...perhaps someone can clarify.
From what i gather, one of the main ingrediants in glyphosate is glycine. (right?) now it seems the main source for glycine that i could find is soyabeans....now for me this is where it gets weird....soyabeans is a genetyically modified crop....are they sure they are not stuffing up there own source of glycine in making roundup, by gmodifying the crops that they are using as the ingredient.....that would be the ultimate Karma for a company like that.. what do you experts think?....what do you guys think of gm crops.?...its very clever, but i wonder if there is another way to deal with agriculture problems...

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:00:08 AM »
Buy organic foods?  I'd be much much much much more worried about what's going into cattle and pigs than genetically engineered crops.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:48 AM »
.why they dont spend money on trying to give the weeds a genetic mutation so they dont grow instead i dont know

Really? Think about it for a second.

You plant the plants that you want to grow. The 'weeds' are already plants in the local environment (or are introduced at a later time, not by the farmer or horticulturists) that can take over and interfere with the plant growth of your choice. You do not plant the weeds! So if you do not plant the weeds, how can you modify them to not grow?

but i wonder if there is another way to deal with agriculture problems...
Cut down more rain forests for farm land, so each farm does not have to be as efficent.
Reduce the population.
Have people waste less food (a huge problem in certain countries).
Do like me, and everybody with a yard have your won garden (the food really is SO damn much better grown fresh).

Offline gm mutant

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:34:41 AM »
I'm actually working on an organic cerified farm...permaculture, demeter and biodynamics my specialties..
Your normal back yard crop is at risk of being pollenated by a gm crop if its planted down the road. Australia has apparently recently said yes to growing GM canola....i'm appalled...

I pull every weed by hand and i mulch thickly....thats as good as i have got....im optimistic though, that a alternative that doesnt benefit a companies back pocket, will become apparant soon. I dont think companies should make billions off playing around with our food, without hearing what we the people have to say...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 03:24:57 AM »
I pull every weed by hand and i mulch thickly...

And how many people are you able to feed? At what labor cost? What will be the price of your crop on the market?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:13:08 AM »
im optimistic though, that a alternative that doesnt benefit a companies back pocket, will become apparant soon.

What do you mean an alternative?
Anything they do will not be "natural" and "organic", so therefor you will not be happy. To grow food on the scale we need at a level that is not too costly requires pesticides and herbicides. People complain about the pesticides and herbicides, and so they try to GM the crops so it requires less of those (and for other reasons).

You are not really fighting science here, just economics. "Natural" does not produce enough at a low cost level. Anything these companies do the reduce the cost will not be "natural" and will be complained about. So I am curious what kind of alternative you mean?

Sponsored Links