April 28, 2024, 04:01:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Emigrating to Canada from the UK  (Read 7039 times)

Offline enzyme76

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Emigrating to Canada from the UK
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:11:36 AM »
Hi

My partner (teacher) and my self (Chemical / Process Engineer) are considering emigrating to Canada from the UK.

Has anyone else done it?

Any tips?

What are jobs like in Canada for a chemical Engineer with 9 years experience in Petro chemicals, pharmaceuticals and fertilisers?

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: Emigrating to Canada from the UK
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »
Hello enzyme76,

In Canada, to practice engineering you MUST be registered with a local legislative body. For example, work in the province of Alberta requires manditory registration with APEGGA. If you are not registered with this legislative body, you cannot practice engineering.

It may be in your best interest to see if you are eligable to be registered before you start the possibility of immigration status. I would feel bad for you if you went through all the paperwork of immigrating but were unable to practice in your specialized field.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline enzyme76

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:38:29 PM »
Hi Eugene

I have been checking up and think I will be fine!

I have a 3 year degree, and this year will (fingers crossed) get my chartered chemical engineer, via the IChem. Plus I am also working this year to get my chartered chemist.

I have been on a few sites and found the following which back sup that I think I am ok?

Engineers
Many U.K. engineers have degrees accredited for Chartered Engineer (CEng) purposes by the Engineering Council U.K. (EC-UK). Such degrees will be accepted under the Washington Accord by Canadian provincial engineering associations as fulfilling the academic requirements to become a Canadian Professional Engineer (PEng). There will likely still be additional work experience and other requirements to become a fully qualified Canadian PEng.
Similarly, qualifications accredited by EC-UK for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) purposes will be accepted in Canada under the Sydney Accord and Engineering Technician qualifications under the Dublin Accord.
The CEng and IEng designations themselves are not directly portable to Canada, although you should check with your specific institute as to whether they have any mutual recognition agreements that go beyond the Washington/Sydney Accords. Some institutes that aware CEng in the U.K. (such as the British Computer Society) have no direct counterpart in Canada.
The Ontario Professional Engineers institute has instituted a program to allow overseas professional engineers gain provisional membership more quickly.

Offline eugenedakin

• Retired Staff
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
Hello enzyme76,

That is great to hear.

On the chemistry side, there are 3 societies (ACPA, ACPO and there is one in Quebec - I can't remember the name right at the moment).

Information about the chemists is at:

ACPA - http://www.pchem.ca
ACPO - http://www.acpo.on.ca

I hope this helps, and good luck on your decision.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »
what about chemical engineers in asian coutnries?do they have low chances of being uhm hired as a chemical engineer there?
ive heard that the international bodies are not accepting professional doctors and engineers in south east asian countries like vietnam,thailandf and the philippines is this true?
now it makes me wonder...is there any international association for chemist and chemical engineers...an organized body i which if you are a qualified member will let you have the priviliged to be excempted by the hazzles of getting a license in other countries or gives you a privilige points in terms of work and oppurtunities?
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline eugenedakin

• Retired Staff
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:17:08 PM »
Hi Artificial Student,

Unfortunately, I do not know of a 'universal' body or association. It would sure make things a lot easier  :)

Because the privilege of a license also comes with legal liability, each country has its own 'lessons learned'. My guess is this is why a universal system has not been adopted.

I wish I could help more.

Best wishes,

Eugene

Sponsored Links