April 28, 2024, 09:31:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: aluminum and electrolysis  (Read 3194 times)

Offline aveon blitz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
aluminum and electrolysis
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »
before i waste my time and money on something that might not work, i thought i would ask here.

i am building an HOD unit that produces hydrogen and oxygen though electrolysis(i know, not viable as an energy source but it does increase the efficiency of the engine. i won't go into why because it goes back to the physics of a heat engine)
a few days ago i found that my experimental unit is rusting out my stainless steel plates. to avoid this, i have been thinking about new materials. aluminum seems to be the best alternative, but i have a question about it.
will aluminum oxidize as a result of the electrolysis or will the coating of aluminum oxide already on the plates protect the aluminum? and if anyone has an idea for a better material that won't deteriorate, i would be thankful.

i thank you for your time and thought on this matter.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: aluminum and electrolysis
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:12:32 AM »
Forget about aluminium. Won't work, it will dissolve in the electrolyte. Oxide coating makes it resistant, but isolates from the solution. Besides, it is resistant only in neutral solutions.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline aveon blitz

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
mk, thank you for the advice, if any one knows a material that will not corrode during electrolysis it would be helpful.

Offline b34st1y

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »
if you were serious about it, and had a design worth plating it in.....why not try stainless steel with gold plating?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »
Umm... the easiest non-corroding electrode would be graphite. And not the kind that is in a pencil, the electrode graphite type.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links