April 29, 2024, 08:04:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: environmental chemistry  (Read 20969 times)

Offline Berettagtz

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
environmental chemistry
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »
I am currently in my third year of BS in Chemistry and I think I want to pursue a graduate degree in environmental chemistry.  I can really see myself doing what environmental chemists do (field work and stuff). 
What do you guys think about this branch of chemistry?  Any environmental chemists on here?  And what are some schools that offer this program?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
Re: environmental chemistry
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:42:29 AM »
Illinois Institute of Technology and UIC have programs in Environmental Engineering.  One of my closest friends is an Environmantal Engineer and is an R&D Scientist for the Metropolitan Water District of Chicago....I will PM you with her e-mail...she would be glad to give you some direction...HShe got her B.S. in Chemistry and M.S. in Environmental Engineering...Good Luck...That area is ineresting and diverse.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »
Illinois Institute of Technology
:o :o :o The first time I've ever heard someone mention IIT.  People do know it exists! *sorry for the threadjack, just could barely contain myself*

Offline Berettagtz

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »
hmm.. environmental engineering.  To me it sounds like there is not a whole lot of chemistry in that field, but that just might be me.  I will look into this further.
Thanks alpha omega.

Offline 0000000

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-7
  • chemist
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »
in Europe may be 70% of all scholarships are for this branch, especially the EU funded ones
My name is Bond, Covalent Bond

Offline Berettagtz

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:08:51 PM »
wow... 70%, that's good to know.  So I guess it is a growing field.  One can have a really good career in this field.  The biggest reason I consider this field is because I am an environmentalist.  I would enjoy doing things like reducing pollution, making water and air cleaner, etc..  It really is a good feeling when you are doing something good for this planet. 
Well, I'll just stop sounding like a geek.

Offline 0000000

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-7
  • chemist
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »
Respect for you but to be honest I am in love with the structure of mater, the most essential thing
My name is Bond, Covalent Bond

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 02:58:17 AM »
Actually, the woman I know who does this uses her chemistry extensively...Her title is  "R&D Scientist"...she presents her work in Washington DC....she is well known in her field.  She is an active member of Iota Sigma Pi which is an intenational Honor Society for Women in Chemistry...I sent you her e-mail..She did say she would be willing to give you some direction./career insight...That is what members of Iota Sigma PI do...they mentor..

Actually, on her way up the ladder in the Chicago Metropolitan Water Duistrict she was REQUIRED to pass a series of ACS (American Chemical Society) Standardized Chemistry Exams....she has also had to take a battery of engineering exams, as well,  to get where she is at...and that 6 figure salary she makes...I would say she knows her stuff.....So indeed, she sue does need to know alot of chemistry.....she is well versed in the structure of matter....

Engineers have a good handle on the on the structure of matter.  .In fact, that would be an integral part of how they approach problem solving.  For example, lets say I am a metallurgical engineer....and I want to make this metal part...so I have to know how to treat that ,eatl...right?  I need to know it structural properties in order to know that the part I form will not fail...so many metallurgical engineers make good use of XRD (X-Ray Diffraction)and SEM  (scanning electron microscopy)to gather that information.

Here is a link to a paper my friend presented in DC:  www.wef.org

Oh and as for Illinois Institute of Technoloy...it is pretty well known.....I took quite a few metallurgical engineering courses there...it has a good solid reputation....Illinois Institute of Technology is well entrenched in Fermi and argonne.  I have another friend who did her M.S. in Physics there and she also worked at both of those national laboratories.  Additionally, it is an intenational campus. They offer assistance to students from many countries.

Link: http://www.iit.edu/%7Ecsl/

Scientists and Engineers can work together to solve a multitude of problems...understanding differne=t approaches to problem solving is a good thing....allows to to FREE YOUR MIND so to speak....

And what you are looking to do:  I would enjoy doing things like reducing pollution, making water and air cleaner, etc..  It really is a good feeling when you are doing something good for this planet.  

That is what she does....

You will find your own way...and what is most appealing to you....make sure you investigate all the options that are abailable.  There are so many interesting croosover disciplines available these days....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 04:32:31 PM by Alpha-Omega »

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 01:45:49 PM »
Oh and as for Illinois Institute of Technoloy...it is pretty well known.....I took quite a few metallurgical engineering courses there...it has a good solid reputation....Illinois Institute of Technology is well entrenched in Fermi and argonne.  I have another friend who did her M.S. in Physics there and she also worked at both of those national laboratories.  Additionally, it is an intenational campus. They offer assistance to students from many countries.
Yea, they do have quite a presence at Argonne and Fermi, I know at least a few professors of mine who work there and at school.  I was just thrown off when someone mentioned it, because I didn't think anyone had really ever heard of the school (not literally, but I certainly didn't think most people had heard of it).  Anyway, carry on...

Offline Berettagtz

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »
thanks alpha omega once again.  As I am waiting on a response from your friend, I do have one question:
What are the chances of someone with a chemistry major and math minor getting in graduate environmental engineering program? 
The reason I am asking is because I've never taken any engineering courses during my undergraduate degree.  I'm sure there is an emphasis on engineering as well as chemistry in this field. 

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »
Well, DB would be the expert on that.  I do not see a problem there.  A chemistry major and math minor is a strong program.  Most people in Chemistry do not opt for the math minor....that is a strong program....

When I transferred from IIT to DePual....the shift was so simple...I filled out the tranfer papers and was accepted...no muss no fuss....

Same process for DB...she applied at IIT and was accepted....RL same deal...IIT and was accepted to the Physics Graduate Program..

The question you ask...I see that alot lately...I had no problem being accepted to multiple grad schools when I decided to pursue the PhD:  I picked..TAMU, UT Austin, Carnegie Mellon, University of Georgia-Athens, Emory, University of Alabama, Tulane, LSU,...I chose these schools because of the research they were involved in and because of WHO was doind it.  Maurakuma was at Emory and Hall and Luchesse were at TAMU....

To be honest with you they did not seem to care about my test scores....they looked at my GPA and the fact I had an M.S. An that I recieved Highest Distinction with regard to my thesis. 

It seems to me that undergrads currently worry more about test scores these days....

Anything you get a minor in you can get an M.S. in at a later time.....you do not have to have engineering courses as an undergraduate to take them at a later date.

When you are invited to different schools to investigate their graduate programs....you will be able to find the right fit....ask alot of questions...DO NOT BE SHY...ask about support...ask about living expenses...ask about the survival rate of grad students within the programs...ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS....Be very proactive...very assertive....it is to your benefit.

Have you tried to write to the program directors at the schools you are interested in? 

I took all mine at the graduate level.  I loved working with the engineers...I was learned alot about different perspectives of problem solving....there is more than one way to solve a problem....

Here...I was a Chemistry major undergraduate....When I got to the point of choosing electives everything was Organic.  I had NO interest in Organic Chemistry.  I wanted P-Chem and Inorganic....so most professors made arrangements for research projects for me...

The undergrad math requirement was Calculus II.  I took my math professors advice and went all the way to Partial Differential Equations...along the way I managed to pick up the Physics major as well.  He was correct, I do not regret that choice.  I took a 1 Math course per semester.....and it definitly pumped up my ability to solve problems...opened alot of doors for me...so agin diversity paid off.

Basically the Physics major basically required a Math major...I was one class shy of a triple major....I sacrificed the triple major (could not handle 3 400 level courses in a 10 week summer session with a graduate stipend at IIT in the mix) for a double certification in Chemistry AIC (American Institute of Chemistry Certification) and ACS Certification (American Chemical Society) and a double certification in Physics:  AIP and SPS....that would be American Institute of Physics and SPS is Society of Physics Students with Companion Association Sigma PI SIgma....Sigma PI SIgma is the International Honors Society for Students in Physics.

Those certifications required I take a certain number of graduate level courses in Chemistry and Physics as an undergrad.....Abstract Algebra....just was the sacrifice...with divesity you have to balance too.  Make sure you do not take on more than you can handle. 

DB and I became good friends in Physics....she was hard core P-Chem as well....we both focused on quantum and electronics in physics...very small classes and most of the work was project/research superconduction and electronics....She went on to get an M.S. in Environmental Engineering....I did my M.S. in Physical Inorganic/Quantum Theoretical....LOL basically had maybe 5 people max in all my classes...lots of attention from my advisor....I learned alot...

I am a strong  advocate of/for diversity...linear thinking has its benefits....but often you gain an advantage if you have the ability to think ouside the lines....and have the ability to see the value in differnt approaches and perspectives....

Like my bud AVM...she is a Chemist B.S. Chemistry, M.S. in Chemistry....and her project is posted on the TAMU website...her work was copyrighted...she just made a lateral shift to being a Field Engineer...she is an FTS-IC...and specializes in Ion Chromatography....

So diversity tempered with balancecan be a good thing...

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
I guess I'm the 'resident' environmental chemist on the Forums?  I'm doing my PhD in Environmental Chemistry at the University of Toronto.

What do you guys think about this branch of chemistry?

It's growing, and there is an abundance of funding for projects.

It's one of those fields of chemistry that kind of melds all the other ones together.  Being an "environmental chemist", you can be doing organic, physical, theoretical, inorganic, analytical ... all different kinds of chemistry at different points.  It's kinda neat that way.

You could always give it a shot and see how you like it :)

Offline Think2Much4UserNames

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • How to modify "Language" in the personal profile?
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 09:19:56 AM »
I guess I'm the 'resident' environmental chemist on the Forums?  I'm doing my PhD in Environmental Chemistry at the University of Toronto.

What do you guys think about this branch of chemistry?

It's growing, and there is an abundance of funding for projects.

It's one of those fields of chemistry that kind of melds all the other ones together.  Being an "environmental chemist", you can be doing organic, physical, theoretical, inorganic, analytical ... all different kinds of chemistry at different points.  It's kinda neat that way.

You could always give it a shot and see how you like it :)

Yes, thanks for the information there! All of you! :D
I am also interested in environmental chemistry because I'm interested in chemistry and also an environmentalist and I love field trips which involves camping and also interesting field works to see more in nature other than the city life I grew up in. I always think that nature is fascinating since I was a kid! :P

Now, I'm just searching for some good universities that I'm going to apply to with a good chemistry program in either Canada/U.S. but not as specific as environmental chemistry because this program is not commonly seen in universities since it's still a developing field, so I'm just going to study pure chemistry in university to proceed with my further studies just in case I change my interest within those 4 years of university in my future. Any advises on good universities with chemistry anyone? I'll be appreciated if any of you can help me! I'll open a new post on universities on the education category later. Thanks to all of you!  :)
Carbon footprinting is fun! Fill out the simple form in the website below to find out your current fuel admission.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/green/dp-now-epacalculator.0913,0,2076806.htmlpage

{ The worst thing to do is to ignore and wait for change. If you want a better living, why not try and be conscious? }

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »
If you do have an interest in environmental chemistry, but I understand your thoughts on going for just a chemistry degree, at least go to a school with at least one professors (better yet, two) doing some sort of environmental chemistry research.

Offline Think2Much4UserNames

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • How to modify "Language" in the personal profile?
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 12:23:23 AM »
If you do have an interest in environmental chemistry, but I understand your thoughts on going for just a chemistry degree, at least go to a school with at least one professors (better yet, two) doing some sort of environmental chemistry research.

Ok, thanks for the tip!
Carbon footprinting is fun! Fill out the simple form in the website below to find out your current fuel admission.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/green/dp-now-epacalculator.0913,0,2076806.htmlpage

{ The worst thing to do is to ignore and wait for change. If you want a better living, why not try and be conscious? }

Sponsored Links