March 28, 2024, 08:58:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2 ester questions  (Read 4901 times)

rragas

2 ester questions
« on: April 11, 2005, 04:46:29 PM »
k...

1) What is the role of the H2SO4 in reactions of esterification?... i have no idea how to approach this... i know that H2SO4 --> (esterifyied?) is sulfate.. but i dunno if that has anything to do with it

2) How is he -OH radical of an alcohol different from that of an inorganic compound (a base)?
Same deal here... (ok.. my teacher explained this, but im lost because i was absent when he did.. :I)

Thanks

Garneck

Re:2 ester questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 05:12:26 PM »
k...

1) What is the role of the H2SO4 in reactions of esterification?... i have no idea how to approach this... i know that H2SO4 --> (esterifyied?) is sulfate.. but i dunno if that has anything to do with it

2) How is he -OH radical of an alcohol different from that of an inorganic compound (a base)?
Same deal here... (ok.. my teacher explained this, but im lost because i was absent when he did.. :I)

Thanks

1. Sulfuric acid catalyses the esterification reaction between an alcohol and a carboxylic acid.

2. An inorganic base M-O-H dissociates to M+ cation and a OH- hydroxyl anion. Alcohols R-O-H dissociate to an alcoxide (my english spelling or naming could be bad) R-O- and H+. Alcohols are veeeeeeeeery weak acids.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 07:18:51 PM »
Alcohols R-O-H dissociate to an alcoxide (my english spelling or naming could be bad) R-O- and H+. Alcohols are veeeeeeeeery weak acids.

it's spelled alkoxide
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Garneck

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 01:45:53 PM »
thanks geodome

Sponsored Links