April 26, 2024, 10:03:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Copper ion (Cu 2+) consumption  (Read 7186 times)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Copper ion (Cu 2+) consumption
« on: July 12, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »
I'm currently electrolyzing water to distill deuterium, and I'm using copper wires.  I just started, so LeChatlier's isn't inhibiting the reaction yet, but once it does, I believe the Cu2+ ions will be the only inhibiting factor.  What substance could I use to consume the copper ions that would be available to a private individual?  Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Copper ion (Cu 2+) consumption
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:49:04 AM »
Please elaborate, I am not sure I understand what you are talking about.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 04:20:40 AM »

That's the electrolysis rig I have up at the moment, with a 6 Volt battery connected to 2 copper wires, placed into an aqueous NaCl solution.  My plan is to run repeated electrolysis as the water runs low in order to distill deuterium.  However, the copper ions released into solution from the electrolysis will eventually prevent the reaction from running, due to LeChatlier's principle, correct?  What I'm looking for is a substance that will consume those copper ions to allow the electrolysis reaction to shift back in favor of the products, preferably a substance that would be easily obtainable by a private citizen.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:33:11 AM »
Sorry, I cant see a connection between Cu2+, water electrolysis and LeChatlier's principle.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 04:59:39 AM »
I knew I wasn't crazy - copper ions aren't supposed to be produced in that setup I have, are they?  For some reason I currently have a bright blue solution of what seems obviously to me consisting of copper ions.  Any ideas on that?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:09:03 AM »
You are dissolving copper, but that's another story. You need electrodes that will not dissolve. That's the same problem those trying to electrolyse water in their cars face.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 05:13:52 AM »
My first impression is that you are getting electrode degradation that everyone gets when they use copper electrodes – many people use carbon electrodes as posted many times here on this forum.

My second thought is your are going to get deuterium gas at the same time you get hydrogen gas therefor you will not get heavy water.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 05:24:57 AM »
Electrolysed water gets enriched in deuterium, but it doesn't mean deuetrium doesn't evolve. Industrial processes use many cells and enriched water is transferred to cells of the higher deuterium concentrations. At the same time evolving hydrogen from the latter steps (which is already enriched in deuterium as well) is burnt and water made is returned back to earlier steps.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 05:29:30 AM »
Let me know if you actually get heavy water from this home process.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 06:04:43 AM »
Ah, thanks.  It's a really significant quantity of copper that's dissolving into the solution, and that lead me to believe I was forgetting my electrolysis schooling and Cu ions were involved in the reaction somehow.

Will do Bill, first time I've done it.  Plan is just to electrolyze until the water container is near empty, refill it, repeat probably 20 times (long process) and hopefully obtain maybe 10 mL of heavy water.  Deuterium electrolyzes slightly more slowly than regular water does.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »
Borek - I actually am producing copper ions, not just copper.  I had to think about it because it's a little indirect.

I'm producing NaOH in the electrolysis, which reacts with the chloride to form sodium hypochlorite, bleach.  Bleach reacts with the copper (albeit slowly) to yield Cu2+ ions.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 03:42:32 AM »
To some oextent you can be right about hypochlorite oxidizing copper electrode, but even if there is no chlorine in the solution, I would expect copper to dissolve on anode. That's how it is purified electrolytically.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 08:18:30 AM »
I can accept that too, since the bleach oxidation is a pretty slow reaction  ;D Thanks for clearing it up.  Electrochemistry is a big weak point of mine.

Sponsored Links