April 26, 2024, 02:05:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry/physics--molar heat capacity?  (Read 17087 times)

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Chemistry/physics--molar heat capacity?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 04:23:39 AM »
I am afraid I am with DrCMS on that.

Temperatures are not equal, change in temperature is. I have already posted a proof.

Are you living in Texas by accident? Few days ago a wannabe science teacher from Texas asked several question (not on this forum), I already feel sorry for the kids s/he is going to teach :(
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 06:24:48 AM »
Don't be afraid to agree with me Borek. ;)

Offline monarchus

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 05:42:59 AM »
I am afraid I am with DrCMS on that.

Temperatures are not equal, change in temperature is. I have already posted a proof.

Are you living in Texas by accident? Few days ago a wannabe science teacher from Texas asked several question (not on this forum), I already feel sorry for the kids s/he is going to teach :(

No.
you all are good in chemistry... have any method to improve chemistry? reading school's text chemistry seems not enough. furthermore, i feel hard to remember the organic chemistry, especially the reagents and condition required for a reaction to take place...

Offline monarchus

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 03:39:58 AM »

∆T in °C ≡ ∆T in K

But my teacher told me that, he discussed with a math teacher about this, and the math teacher said ∆T in °C cannot be equal to ∆T in K... so i am confuse now @@@@@@

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 04:34:33 AM »
Change school as fast as possible.

Sorry, all I can tell you is that delta T is identical in both cases and I have shown that earlier. Print my post and ask them both to point to the error.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »

∆T in °C ≡ ∆T in K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin

The kelvin unit and its scale, by international agreement, are defined by two points: absolute zero, and the triple point of Vienna Standard Mean Ocean Water (VSMOW).[1] This definition also exactly relates the Kelvin scale to the Celsius scale. Absolute zero—the temperature at which nothing could be colder and no heat energy remains in a substance—is, by definition, exactly 0 K and −273.15 °C. The triple point of water is, by definition, exactly 273.16 K and 0.01 °C. This definition does three things:

It fixes the magnitude of the kelvin unit as being exactly 1 part in 273.16 of the difference between absolute zero and the triple point of water;
It establishes that one kelvin has exactly the same magnitude as a one-degree increment on the Celsius scale; and
It establishes the difference between the two scales’ null points as being exactly 273.15 kelvins (0 K ≡ −273.15 °C and 273.16 K ≡ 0.01 °C). Temperatures in kelvin can be converted to other units per the table at bottom left.

It would appear that your chemistry teacher knows very little chemistry and less about maths while your maths teacher knows nothing about both maths and chemistry. 

Take Borek's advice and find a school that does not employ idiots.  Although in my experience there are nowhere near enough of those.

Offline monarchus

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »

∆T in °C ≡ ∆T in K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin

The kelvin unit and its scale, by international agreement, are defined by two points: absolute zero, and the triple point of Vienna Standard Mean Ocean Water (VSMOW).[1] This definition also exactly relates the Kelvin scale to the Celsius scale. Absolute zero—the temperature at which nothing could be colder and no heat energy remains in a substance—is, by definition, exactly 0 K and −273.15 °C. The triple point of water is, by definition, exactly 273.16 K and 0.01 °C. This definition does three things:

It fixes the magnitude of the kelvin unit as being exactly 1 part in 273.16 of the difference between absolute zero and the triple point of water;
It establishes that one kelvin has exactly the same magnitude as a one-degree increment on the Celsius scale; and
It establishes the difference between the two scales’ null points as being exactly 273.15 kelvins (0 K ≡ −273.15 °C and 273.16 K ≡ 0.01 °C). Temperatures in kelvin can be converted to other units per the table at bottom left.

It would appear that your chemistry teacher knows very little chemistry and less about maths while your maths teacher knows nothing about both maths and chemistry. 

Take Borek's advice and find a school that does not employ idiots.  Although in my experience there are nowhere near enough of those.

okay.

thank you.

it is seems that my chemistry teacher misunderstood the math teacher.

sorry for troubling you.

Sponsored Links