March 28, 2024, 01:57:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

Would you like to see Cannabis legalized in your home-country?

Yes
No
It is legalized, but I would like to see it to become illegal!
It is legalized, and keep it that way!
I dont know

Topic: Legalization of cannabis  (Read 22896 times)

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
Legalization of cannabis
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »
I am not talking about legalization of cannabis in professional medical research and treatment, when I ask the question above.

This is a very hot topic in discussion-boards in Norway now. I guess it will be here too. So please behave and be a professional.

Cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.) is plants of different varieties, about 4-6 metres in height, found mostly in central and western Asia. The presents of delta-1-THC makes it the worlds third most consumed drug after tobacco and alcohol. THC is affecting the CB1 og CB2 receptors in the nervecells, which is receptors for the natural endo-cannaboid anandamide. Anandamide is regulating the activity in the synaptic cleft.

THC is psychoactive and users is getting heightened awareness and perceptions, euphoria, sedation, and sometimes hallucinations. The most effective way of administering cannabis is by smoking it.

Now, many people say that cannabis is not harmful in any way. But reports states that Cannabis smoking is more dangerous than smoking tobacco [1]. The risk is lowered by use of a vaporizer [3]. Many people say alcohol is more dangerous than cannabis, and a recent report [2] that take into account both social and health factors clearly states the same. But will this picture change if cannabis is legalized?

But THC's LD50 dose is 5.5 times higher then ethanol. We can reason this that our ancestors might have found rotten fruit with a high ethanol-content more often then THC and cannabis. And so we have adapted our metabolism to make ethanol less harmful. The THC content in hashish is 4-10% THC, and 0.1 - 2.7% in marijuana. So a user dose is way below the lethal dose 50 of 1.2*103 mg/kg for adult male rate.

So, what do you think? Is cannabis harmful? And would you like to legalize it in your country? Why or why not?

[1] http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-07/bsj-iol072707.php
I was unable to find other references on the go, but I will check into this later.

[2] David Nut, Leslie A King, William Saulsbury og Colin Blakemore; Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse; The Lancet, Volume 369, Nummer 9566, 24. mars 2007; DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60464-4.

[3] http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/4/1/11
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-05/uoc--scd051507.php
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re: Legalization of cannabis
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:13:12 PM »
IMO, cannabis is far less harmful than either tobacco or EtOH.

It is much less addictive than nicotine (physical addiction, at least).  I was too lazy to read your ref[1], but I remember a study that examined the likelyhood of lung cancer in cannabis smokers, and found no increase even for very heavy users, vs. 20x increase for tobacco smokers.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html?nav=hcmodule

You speak of a LD50 for THC, but I believe that there are exactly zero known human fatalities from this substance, whereas there are lots and lots for EtOH.  EtOH is more likely to result in belligerent/aggressive behavior in people (who are otherwise inclined to this but normally stay in check).

The original reasons for banning cannabis in the USA were completely racist, the substance was popular with Mexicans (and not others), and it was a convenient stick to wield by the authorities.

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »
Also read this! I am still chewing on the many new facts that I have learned from it.
http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/2/1/17

I dont find cannabis as very appealing to have in my society. First of all, let us look at the effects. You are messing with a very fundamental mechanism in the organisms. The CB1 receptor dates back to mollusks and is important in homeostatic control mechanisms. This is all very exciting for potential medical uses. But how do you know what effects it will have for all people?

And do we really know all about THC? We discovered it in the 90's. I find it hard to believe that the cannabisplant have synthesized a substrate that have a clean effect, with no fatalities, on animals thats feeding on it. Its just to perfect to be true!

We know a lot about EtOH and its potential hazards, and we have a lot of data. Let us not confuse the amount of data with how poisonous it is, the knowledge is just much clearer, thats all. Until just recently we discovered THC and anandamide. Now we can do measurements relating directly to them, of that reason the amount of data is small, its a more "foggy" branch of knowledge. For 1000 years ago, how did our ancestors what long-term effects this drug caused on its victims? Schizophrenia is often associated with madness. If the drug is acting very deeply, how do we recognize effects with no knowledge of molecular biology?

Im saying, we know to little about cannabis and THC to say anything for sure.
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
I'm all for it.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »
I'm british and absolutely I think they should legalise it, I think it causes far less societal ills than alcohol does, you see loads of people drink all night then spill out onto the streets looking for a rumble round here, but I have never seen a stoner start a fight for no good reason.

That and I'm blazing a bong right now, so of course I want it legalised, I'm biased really, smoking the herb works wonders for the joint problem I have with my knee, I'm getting that fixed soon, but still, I'll not be parted from my daily smoke.

Bugger, can someone move this into the cannabis legalisation thread? my shitty mobile connection is too slow and replies keep getting mutilated and sent to odd places when I try to post:P
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline Controlled Substance

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »
Well, I'm all for safety and all...
but I just don't see how it is at all rational or ethical for a self-perpetuating government to impose limits on what plants we can or cannot touch. Especially considering the racial, commercial and clergical motives for having banned such natural products of this earth. Propaganda helps too.  So much for our false sense of freedom!

Whether we are talking about legalizing refined opium products, the fungi, the cacti, cannabis, or unregulated tobacco growth; my answer is the same.

Offline Namiantor01

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:16:41 PM »
Yes, my mother has chronic pain. We've tried everything from higher-end opiates to eastern/hollistic medicine (the latter working better than the opiates). And the only thing that had more positive than negative effects was the cannabis. Since it works on the CB receptors (lol duh) it helps a lot with the pain, it counteracted the withdrawal effects of the opiates (to some extent) and helped all around with the nausea and other symptoms.

Since one can have up to 20 grams of cannabis here, we had no problem, yet, I would like to see it legalized so it doesn't hold such stigma.

Offline dzoys

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
  • undergrad
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:49:24 PM »
marijuana may not cause lung cancer but may induce chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, assuming most don't use a vaporizer.
She wasn't history. She's just a number. - Blondie

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 04:17:19 AM »
My Friends wife (they are both a fair bit older than me)  has MS. It cripples her and she has no energy and lots of pain.   The doctors could do nothing for her.  He heard that cannabis could help  -  he scored some and crumbled it into her coffee (to avoid the adverse harms of smoking).  Appart from the fact she really likes it ( ;D) it clears up her pain and gets her up out of her chair which she can't do normally.   Almost complete recovery whilst under the effects.

He spoke to several doctors about this and most looked shocked and horrified and told him not to mess with unknown/illegal drugs, but one of them said that he had heard of this effect before and has actually recommended it (off the record) to a couple of other MS sufferers.

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »
I do not care how benign a substance is, if it makes you want to drink Mountain Dew while eating Cheetos, Slim Jims, Twinkees and popcorn at the same time....it is not good for you!

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »
"makes you want": no such concept

Mountain Dew while eating Cheetos, Slim Jims, Twinkees and popcorn:
Due to widespread public concern, all synthetic garbage food will be taken off the shelves. They will be promptly replaced by healthy cannabis derived snacks. Each portion contains a day's supply of EFA's and an afternoon's supply of healthy entertainment.

----------

How about wanting to eat ice cream, peanut butter, dirt, PFK chicken and avocados all at the same meal?
Should estrogen levels be subject to tighter regulations during pregnancy?  ;D

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
How about wanting to eat ice cream, peanut butter, dirt, PFK chicken and avocados all at the same meal?
Should estrogen levels be subject to tighter regulations during pregnancy?

Ask any guy that has had to go out at 1am to try and find crazy food for a pregnant wife, and they would all say, yes!

What is PFK chicken? I have heard of KFC, but PFK?

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »
Poulet Frit Kentuky >= Kentuky Fried Chicken

I'm from Quebec.  :P

I don't know this person:

Offline h20dude

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »
I agree with pantone159 cannabis is far less harmful than tobacco, I have had friends dies of cancer due to smoking to much cigs... If they would have smoked pot they would probably still be here, check this out

Cannabis News Post

Offline uwintoday

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Smokers dont die from lung cancer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 04:16:12 AM »
Only about 10% of smokers die from lung cancer.
They die long before lung cancer sets in from other health problems.

DONT SMOKE ANYTHING!

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
Dear All;

Harmful?  - I think like Paracelsus, expanded by term: “and how often”.

The majority of Swiss (~65%) thinks that’s harmful enough and voted this weekend against any liberalisation.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Sponsored Links