April 18, 2024, 06:55:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sulfide oxidation  (Read 5541 times)

Offline ace_of_beer

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sulfide oxidation
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:36:17 AM »
When adding nitrite and sulfide to an anoxic sterile growth media I see the formation of a yellow color in the media. The color doesn't form immediately.
Does anyone know whether nitrite can react with sulfide and generate a yellow soluble product ?

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
Re: Sulfide oxidation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:56:38 PM »
When adding nitrite and sulfide to an anoxic sterile growth media I see the formation of a yellow color in the media. The color doesn't form immediately.
Does anyone know whether nitrite can react with sulfide and generate a yellow soluble product ?

Show your attempt first, write the equation representing the process which you think? Do you have any predictions about the product of the reaction above?
Genius is a long patience

Offline ace_of_beer

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Sulfide oxidation
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:17:02 AM »
Well what I think what might happend is a reaction between nitrite and sulfide leading to the formation of elementary sulfur: H2S / HS-  +  NO2-  -->  S0 + N2  + H2O
The elementary sulfur would result in a yellow color but as far as I know elementary sulfur is insoluble in water and I don’t observe any precipitation.

Alternatively nitrite could be reduced to ammonium. The ammonium could then react with sulfide producing ammonium sulfide. H2S / HS-  + NH4+  -->  [NH4]2S
Ammonium sulfide is yellow and is extremely soluble in water. However, when nitrite is replaced by ammonium no yellow color occurs.

Sponsored Links