April 26, 2024, 05:02:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trading...Playing the Stock Market  (Read 12478 times)

Offline HighTek

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Trading...Playing the Stock Market
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »
I know the US is in recession and my feeling is to NOT get involved. However, if I do, does anyone know where I would begin? I suppose the area I would get into would deal with science. Phoenix, AZ will be moving heavily into BioTechnology (the science community is abuzz) so I figured I would toss a lil something inside while I have the means.

Also, what do you all think of investing student loans? I mean, in the end, I will still pay it back, whether or not I invest or drink it away :) ...
I'm experiencing both Alzheimer's and Deja Vu right now, I think I forgot this before.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Trading...Playing the Stock Market
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:27:32 PM »
First, let me just say, and I know this is just semantics. But the economy is not in recession. It is just really horrible. I mean, yes a recession is an indication of decline, etc, which we are in. But to me, recession = bread and soup lines. We are nowhere near that. Or economy just sucks.

Also, what do you all think of investing student loans? I mean, in the end, I will still pay it back, whether or not I invest or drink it away

Student loans and the interest on them are tax deductible. It is free money. It is my opinion, if you are wise and cautious, get as much student loans as you can. Then again, I am very smart when it comes to my credit and such. I only have the highest theoretical possible credit score!

I have no experience with the stock market though. I am just fine making crazy interest on my savings.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »
The economy may or not be in a recession, given how the government defines the term.  It's possible we are, but we won't know until enough time has passed and the qualifications are met.

Offline HighTek

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
Nevermind. I think my plans fall under the category of FRAUD! I cannot continue this discussion.

Can this be deleted???
I'm experiencing both Alzheimer's and Deja Vu right now, I think I forgot this before.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:08:15 AM »
Personally I'd ignore biotech and the US and invest in Pacific Rim excluding Japan, BRIC funds and Global commodities.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:28:05 AM »
Theoretically, you should max out your student loans and invest it all in the stock market while it is so low. The safest stock symbol is ddd. That stock purchases all the stocks in the Dow Industrial average and is a very-very safe stock to invest in as far as these things are concerned.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »
I'm not really keen on how all of this works, but isn't that basically a mutual fund Mitch?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:12:55 PM »
No, definitely not a mutual fund but I see how you could think they are similar. Dis is an index fund of the Dow Jones, and as such it doesn't require as many money manager to always keep on top of the fund, which also means there are less people taking their cut and you get a much better return. Also, most mutual funds only pay their dividends in December.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:05:45 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline dzoys

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
  • undergrad
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »
beware of pharma. shareholders got a nice hit
http://www.rightsforamerica.com/Page.asp?MOD_ID=34&HAS_LEFT=True

you can invest in materials used in all industries. if you can determine which technologies wil be a success, investing in the precursor materials is a strategy.

on the flipside, you can also invest in their product- that's the stock market though.
She wasn't history. She's just a number. - Blondie

Offline Controlled Substance

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »
Bread/Soup line does not mean recession, it means deep S**T.
Many economists would agree that the US is in recession, you are getting less for your dollar, and the rest of the world is getting more from you. The media wouldn't admit it though.

To OP: Like you say, I don't know whether what you are doing is legal. Key is to diversify your inventment types and to invest in different industries. Take a look at investing internationally also.

Sponsored Links