April 29, 2024, 03:26:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: H20, H30 and HO  (Read 12011 times)

Offline Sarcofago

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
H20, H30 and HO
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »
Hello, everybody I do hope that you will be able to solve my problem cause obviously I cannot...
Well we take the Oxygen in the water molecule - we got two binding electrons and two lone pair electrons.. that's brilliant, but then we have got the hydronium ion - H3O, how is that happening that we have got only two binding electrons in the oxygen and at the same time oxygen is bound to three atoms of Hydrogen... it is the analogous situation with the hydroxide ion... I would appreciate help of any kind !!!

Offline Sarcofago

Re: H20, H30 and HO
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
And how is that HO- got three lone pair electrons? I definitely miss something. I read the polar covalent bonds but ...

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:49:38 AM »
The oxygen in water has 2 lone pairs, a total of 4 electrons and yes two of oxygens electrons are participating in bonding with the two hydrogens.  So when a water molecule picks up a hydrogen cation to form H3O+, there is 1 lone pair left over, the other formed a bond with the hydrogen cation.  This is called a Lewis acid base reaction since it involves electron pairs; the water is donating an electron pair to the hydrogen cation. 

And yes, something similar happens with OH-; it has three lone pairs that can be donated to an acceptor like a hydrogen cation or metal cation. 

Offline Sarcofago

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »
Hi, thank You tamim83, I have misunderstood the information that I am reading from the book. I think I got it now. Thanks once again!

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:04:16 AM »
I think you're getting hung up on the terms.  Just because we classify a pair of electrons as bonding or non-bonding, does not imply that those electrons cannot be classified as something else after a chemical transformation.  The classification is a description of the molecule at that time and is not intended to describe those electrons under all conditions/bonding patterns.

Non bonding electron pairs can become sigma bonding electrons.  Pi bonding electrons (double bond) can become sigma bonding electrons.  And vice versa.  Happens all the time.  We've just described every chemical reaction.  Ever.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Sarcofago

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:10:02 AM »
I was wondering if we got H30,why can't we have H40 ... in case we got a free pair left but I found that and if someone is curious...

"So, why not H4O2+? Well, there are electrostatic arguments. Putting positive charges together is energetically expensive. There are space arguments. The proton once it is "coordinated" to the water molecule is no longer "naked". It has electrons which means that it is quite large - certainly as large as the other two protons which help to define the tetrahedral structure of water molecules. But likely the most important consideration is that water is 55.5 Molar. Even at an acid strength of 1 M, there are 55.5 water molecules to each proton. That is a lot of competition and it is unlikely that you are going to find protons doubling up! After all, it is energy expensive and there is no need with all of the available partners."

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-09/1001450718.Ch.r.html - the source.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
H3O+, H5O2+ you can find in the crystal structures of some strong acids. The most known is HClO4 hydrate, but in fact (H3O+ ClO4-). See also structure of ice in which each oxygen atom is coordinated by (2+2) hydrogen atoms.

Correction: 2 moved down from superscript to subscript in H5O2+
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:30:07 AM by AWK »
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
I was wondering if we got H30,why can't we have H40 ...

Please, don't ignore charges in your posts.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »
H402+ would be interesting, I don't think anyone has tried to make it. Feel free to try. :)
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline heliosaurum

• Very New Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 08:08:09 AM »
H402+ would be interesting, I don't think anyone has tried to make it. Feel free to try. :)

I think someone had tried it before but no one success...

Sponsored Links