April 19, 2024, 10:08:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: surface tension of water  (Read 6780 times)

rachel

surface tension of water
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:42:22 PM »
I have been assigned a final project in grade 12 chemistry class.  For this project, we are required to have a contact who is knowledgeable in the area we are researching.  If someone is able to answer a few questions about the surface tension of water and how solutes and other factors effect it, it would be greatly appreciated.
1. How can solutes cause an increase/decrease in the surface tension of water?
2. Does temperature have an effect?
3. What causes a meniscus to form?
4. What other factors can change the surface tension of water?

Offline Jiro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +7/-5
  • Faith.
Re:surface tension of water
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »
I'm going to give this a shot. I'm just learning about chemistry so I might not be so knowledgeable but I'll try to do my best... Study intermocular forces because intermolecular forces gives rise to a number of structural features and properties of liquids.
1)Liquids that have strong intermolecular forces also have high surface tensions...
Surface tension:
Water(Hydrogen Bond) > any other(most) liquids
So i believe, the solute increases its polarity it will increase the tension and vice versa.
2)Not sure... but id guess it make the bonds less stable and thus weaker intermolecular forces.
3)Menisucus: molecules in liquids are pulled in all directions by intermolecular forces. Moluecules at the surface are only pulled down and sideways by other molecules and not upwards. Polar and non-polar repel. So i think the glass surface is polar.
4)Any other way you can change the intermolecular forces(stronger or weaker). For water I think you can add flourine since strength of the hydrogen bonds are determined by the electrostatic attractions between the lone pair electrons of the electronegative atom and the hydrogen nucleus.

Sponsored Links