April 28, 2024, 07:08:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help going back to college!  (Read 11962 times)

Offline Controlled Substance

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Need help going back to college!
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:08:27 PM »
Hi

I need advice on getting re-accepted into the science program at a Quebec english cegep.

Needless to say, I've come to the realization that I want to go all the way (education-wise) and would like to contribute in many fields of research.

The public cegeps I apply to have been rejecting me on the same basis for the past 3 semesters. The grades I got the last two times I went to Cegep weren't good.

For the record:
-Three years ago I have dropped out of the Science program (3rd semester) one week before exams due to extreme teenage confusion and various personal/family crisis issues. Was also looking into mechanical engineering. (That decision = FAIL, I know...)
-Two years ago I took up mechanical engineering tech in a French cegep. I was sort of struggling with the many language discrepencies but I also realized that I really should have stuck to science; it was the same material but simplified and adapted. Drop-out dates and course change dates are too early in the semester... I actually did great in the technical/materials/CAD stuff, but ended up getting crappy -barely passing- grades after all because many courses had a second, overvalued and/or deprecated component. One Example: I got 96% on the materials class final exam, yet failed because I did nothing for the cosmically unnecessary "you and your career" component of the course. Finally ended up with 60% after doing a waste-of-time appeal assignment, equivalent to "I can use the internet!!1!" for that second teacher. [Sorry for ranting but I think this is ridiculously unfair.]

The reply letters always say that other people with better "qualifications" got all the spots. The only option they seem to leave me with is to get into a program I am not interested in in order to raise my academic standing.
To be fully honest with you, I believe I'm a *rationally* lazy guy.
I do not want to be coerced of my time and money simply so that my school could have the peace of mind that I won't ruin their class average; one key selling point for prospective students and pushy parents.

----

Does anyone know a way I can get back into the Science program? I've written letters of intent for the last two times and they don't seem to be taken seriously. (If they were even read.) I get the same violently generic response each time.

How can I clearly demonstrate to them my interest in advancing the knowledge of things that are now clearly way above my head, in a way that doesn't come across as foolish, arrogant, ignorant, or pipe-dream-ish?
How should I go about justifying my crappy grades and such?
How do I make it clear that I'm not signing up to dick around and get cheap bus passes?

What kind of people make up an "admissions committee"? Are we talking about people with human-resources type qualifications or about professors from each department? Anyone know the target audience?

Any input will be very appreciated. I am looking forward to going back to school ASAP. I read when I can, but a guy still needs to work and play.  :-\

P.S: I still have copies of my previous letters in case someone would care to give some pointers.

Offline dzoys

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
  • undergrad
Re: Need help going back to college!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »
i am in the same boat.

basically i went to community college and took physics 1, statistics, pre cal, and cal 1. scored 2 A's and a B+ in precal and physics.
then i went to a private college, not a known school, took chem 1, scored top in the class which meant i was still competitive. i also took bio 1 and and psychology, for personal interestsm, scored A's
now, in september, i will take physics, calculus and chem and continue to do so until i get a BA in chemistry. in the meantime i will be annexing to a known state college in nyc.

so in essence, collect your credits and score competitively. apply higher as you go.

She wasn't history. She's just a number. - Blondie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:12:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
It seems they don't leave us much choice.

But I specifically want to avoid doing classes that have no purpose towards finishing my college science degree. I want to stick it to the man. I feel I've wasted enough time out of school as it is seeing that many people I went to College with are now well into University. Some of them dumb as s#*$ too. I don't see how getting high grades in easy, unrelated classes proves anything about my ability to do well in science.
Sure you can agree  :)

Admin: Is there a way I can edit my first post again? I was obviously ranting and long posts suck anyway.  ;)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:47:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
It seems they don't leave us much choice.

But I specifically want to avoid doing classes that have no purpose towards finishing my college science degree. I want to stick it to the man. I feel I've wasted enough time out of school as it is seeing that many people I went to College with are now well into University. Some of them dumb as s#*$ too. I don't see how getting high grades in easy, unrelated classes proves anything about my ability to do well in science.
Sure you can agree  :)

Admin: Is there a way I can edit my first post again? I was obviously ranting and long posts suck anyway.  ;)

There should be a button that says "modify".
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:22:53 AM »
There was. Is it normal that I can only edit posts a single time?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:50:26 AM »
There was. Is it normal that I can only edit posts a single time?

You can edit your post for a limited time only. Ability to modify posts was abused, people were editing their posts so that answers look completely off.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 01:42:50 PM »
Can you get into another school and raise your GPA back up and show them that you have learned your lesson?

I am confused about the school system there. Is this college/university setting, or some sort of high-school thing?

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:22:55 PM »
Can you get into another school and raise your GPA back up and show them that you have learned your lesson?

I am confused about the school system there. Is this college/university setting, or some sort of high-school thing?

Yes this is a college setting.

There are only a couple of schools which are within a reasonable distance and that are english. I have applied a few times to two of the closer schools and got rejected. It appears possible to me that they may share registration info among other info. (One registration form for three possible schools. Funny enough, same generic response from both.) Both are approx 1h-1.5h away; all the closer schools are French.
My only chance is by applying to a further school (>2hrs per trip), and then I'd have to move out my parents' house.

I'm even thinking about going to college in an english part of Canada (worst case scenario), or going straight to University and finishing off my courses there ($$$.).

Considering that the government pays our college tuition, I understand why they would lean towards students with "competitive" grades... Is it more likely I'll get accepted into University on the basis that it is individually paid for?

I'm just desperate to get back into school. Any input will help.

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20:25 PM »
Are there core classes outside of your field you still have to take? Such as histories and humanities classes? If you could do a semester of those at one of the closer french schools and get good grades, it will show them you have gotten serious and your intent is serious. And if they transfer properly, you have not wasted any time either!

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »
Thats a good idea.... I know for a fact they are directly transferable. If I drop most or all of the other non-core classes, then a 3 classes per semester work load is ridiculously easy... in essence proving nothing.

Do you really think that this will be enough to transfer back into science the following semester? (They're probably the ones I should be asking though   :P)

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
You can ask them, but I highly doubt they will give you an answer; as then they are possibly committing themselves without proper approval.

Your goal is not to show them you already know everything you want to learn from them...cause then what is the point of the school? Your goal is to show them that you have matured and realized the error of your ways and are willing to work hard for what you want, and will continue to work hard.

Sponsored Links