March 28, 2024, 09:36:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ketone halogenation  (Read 9516 times)

Offline Ak

• Mole Snacks: +8/-3
  • "Man I am so juzzed" - Bart Simpson
ketone halogenation
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
my textbook shows examples of ketone halogenation where 1 R' group on the ketone is halogenated.  How do you know which side will be halogenated.  Ive attached an example and i want to do Br2 in acetic acid, but i dont know which R group is more likely to be halogenated.  Thanks

Offline Ak

Re: ketone halogenation
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:07:22 PM »
and also if there is a ketone and an aldehyde on the same molecule, can you selectively protect the aldehyde and make an acetal but no ketal? Thanks

p.s. i was trying to edit my first post to add this but i wasnt able to...i was able to edit yesterday

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »
The first step in bromination is acid catalyzed tautomerization, followed by addition of bromine to the pi bond.  I just wrote out two possible tautomerizations for your reaction, and one looks more favorable than the other.

Second question:  I would guess that the answer is yes, because typically one of these groups is more stable, the one that benefits more from hyperconjugation.  I couldn't tell you a specific way to do it though.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »
Like mentioned above, you'll make the enol first and then brominate.

There is a wonderful paper by Kresge & Schepp in Journal of the Chemical Society Chemical Communications (20), 1548 (1989) detailing some kinetic studies of acetophenone (your molecule) and a related analogue that reacts differently. You'll find some good mechanistic data as well as other references to peruse.

Link to paper: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c39890001548

PS: People have been editing their posts to yield wrong information once they find class mates are also viewing this website. This is a recent problem, so there is now a 24 hour or so cutoff to editing posts.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Ak

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »
right so stupid of me...all i had to do was go through the mechanism and i would see that the more highly substituted carbon-carbon double bond would form, and the bromine would then add to the pie bond....thanks!!

Sponsored Links