April 28, 2024, 02:20:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Entropy  (Read 3582 times)

Offline gear2d

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Entropy
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
I was wondering why a system that is exothermic that has a decrease in entropy would be spontaneous at low temperatures? I thought a high temperature would work. Is there an intuitive way of seeing this? 

Offline luckyhooked

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Entropy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
It's been a few months since my thermodynamics class, but the way that I understand it, a system is at equilibrium when its free energy is as low as possible. The free energy equation is dG = dH - TdS. So even if the entropy decreases a bit , that can be compensated by the fact that the reaction is exothermic, thus dH is negative. In fact, the lower the temperature, the less of an effect the TdS term will have on the free energy. So the way I see it, as long as the entropy change is rather small and the heat released is rather large, the system would be spontaneous at low temperatures. Then again, I didn't do all that great in thermo...

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:19:49 PM »
So if you increase the temperature, that reaction will be even more spontaneous. It would seem to jive (Yes, I just used jive in a sentence.)
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
For a reaction where ΔH < 0 and ΔS < 0, it will actually be more thermodynamically favorable at lower temperatures.  The basic way to think about it is that at low temperatures, the system wishes to minimize potential energy while at high temperatures the system wishes to maximize entropy.

Offline gear2d

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:01:39 PM »
Thanks everyone, it makes sense now.

Sponsored Links