April 27, 2024, 01:52:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pH change in buffer after addition of strong base  (Read 7255 times)

Offline tiny101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
pH change in buffer after addition of strong base
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »
For 100.0 mL of a buffer that is 0.50 M in HOCl and 0.40 M in NaOCl, what is the pH after 10.0 mL of 1.0 M NaOH is added.  Ka  for HOCl = 3.5E-8

First I calculated the initial pH of the buffer before the addition of NaOH. To do so, I used the Henderson-Hasselbach Equation:

pH = pKa + log [OCl-]/[HOCl] = 7.456 + log 0.4/0.5 = 7.359

The next step is to determine which species reacts with which other species after the addition of NaOH. However, I really can't figure it out. I know after adding NaOH (but before anything reacts), we have: HOCl, Na+, OCl- and OH-.

Any help would be much appreciated,
thanks in advance.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: pH change in buffer after addition of strong base
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:52:48 AM »
The next step is to determine which species reacts with which other species after the addition of NaOH. However, I really can't figure it out. I know after adding NaOH (but before anything reacts), we have: HOCl, Na+, OCl- and OH-.

I see an acid and a strong base.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline tiny101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:42:44 PM »
If I understand correctly, the next step is to calculate the number of moles of HOCl left after it first dissociates in the water. I did that and came to find there are 0.050 moles left because it didn't dissociate very much.

Next, I found the number of moles of NaOH added = 0.01 mol. The limiting reagent is NaOH, and thus there are 0.01 moles of HOCl left and 0 moles of NaOH.

I suppose now I should do another ICE table to determine the concentrations of HOCl , H+ and OCl- ? However, even after taking into consideration that the total volume has been changed, the finished ICE table leads to an impossible Henderson-Hasselbach equation which basically includes log(1/0).

Any ideas?
Thank you again.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »
No need for ICE. Assume there is no further dissociation taking place. From limiting reagent you know amount of acid left, now find the amount of conjugated base and put these into Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Note: if there is an excess of base, you may end with situation when there is no acid left. Then pH is given by this excess strong base.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links