April 20, 2024, 09:53:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with a symbolic chemistry wedding idea  (Read 5256 times)

Offline stormlifter

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help with a symbolic chemistry wedding idea
« on: February 13, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
What I'm thinking
  • Husband Chemical - HC
  • Wife Chemical - WC
  • Audience Chemical - AC

• HC + WC = Joined Chemical (JC) = Cool reaction that joins the two
  • JC + AC = Reaction that creates light

I want to have a bowl up at the front. Put HC and WC together and get a reaction.
Then have the audience come up if they wish with their AC in a tube (possibly with a one-way valve) and fill it with the combination of HC and WC and have another reaction, preferably glowing since I want this at sunset.

Anyone want to help me figure this out? I am fairly free to use whatever chemicals I want as long as it's not super dangerous. I am having the wedding and a place that gives me plenty of freedom, but I don't want anything that is bad for the environment or anything.

Thanks a bunch for the ideas and *delete me* I hope this is the right place to ask for this help, I am new.

Offline stormlifter

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Help with a symbolic chemistry wedding idea
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »
I'm not sure why randomly a part of my post has *delete me* in it. I also can't edit it anymore. I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Offline Polytriazole

• Mole Snacks: +8/-1
Re: Help with a symbolic chemistry wedding idea
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:08:14 PM »
I used to do chemistry shows for outreach, and I have just the reaction for you. 

It requires a chemical called Luminol and a few other readily available compounds like sodium bicarbonate and copper sulfate.  Overall, pretty environmentally friendly, but you should check the individual chemicals to make sure they don't require any special disposal.  I don't think they do, if you're not using huge amounts.

Check out this website with the directions:
http://chemistry.creighton.edu/Outreach/MMM/2001chemistry.html

Basically, you have two solutions that will mix and produce blue, shimmery light.  Pretty cool.  You'll need to do it indoors where you can dim the lights, though.  There is a video of the chemistry show number that uses this reaction, this reaction in particular is near the end of the video.

Congratulations on the wedding!

Sponsored Links