April 24, 2024, 06:41:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: OH to aldehyde by CrO3?  (Read 18276 times)

Offline Ak

• Mole Snacks: +8/-3
  • "Man I am so juzzed" - Bart Simpson
OH to aldehyde by CrO3?
« on: August 12, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »
i was looking at my lecture notes and saw tht my prof used 1. CrO3 then 2. H3O+ at O°C and made an aldehyde out of a primary alcohol...in my text book it says CrO3 makes a carboxylic acid, so im just clarifying, does the acid work up make it into an aldehyde? Thanks

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: OH to aldehyde by CrO3?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:41:24 PM »
PCC is pyridinium chlorochromate, and utilizes the same CrO3 ion that chromic acid oxidation uses.  It is possible that is what the process was.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:14:45 PM »
PCC is quite different than CrO3.  In fact, it was pretty much invented to solve this over-oxidation problem.  Oxidation of a primary alcohol with CrO3 will give an acid, with PCC, an aldehyde.

It looks to me like an error.  Perhaps he did mean to put PCC instead of CrO3.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:18:58 PM »
CrO3 is in general too strong of an oxidant to stop at an aldehyde from a primary alcohol.  Although he may be referring to a more old school reaction in which the oxidation stops at the aldehyde because of the 0 ºC temp and of course careful timing.  Although PCC is an much better choice.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
PCC is quite different than CrO3.  In fact, it was pretty much invented to solve this over-oxidation problem.  Oxidation of a primary alcohol with CrO3 will give an acid, with PCC, an aldehyde.

It looks to me like an error.  Perhaps he did mean to put PCC instead of CrO3.
What I was saying though was that PCC is just a complex with CrO3 in it and without the water (since the water creates a hydrate of the aldehyde which can then be oxidized again).  I wasn't saying they were the same, but that they were related, and since I couldn't see the notes, possibly what was being discussed in the notes.

It's a moot point anyway, but just wanted to clarify, I wasn't saying they were the same thing.

Offline Ak

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
i agree tht pcc would be better but my prof was taking up a question where you could only do a given reaction only once and PCC had already been done so im guessing he did use the "old school" way mentioned by agrobert.  Thanks

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
Why not use the etard reaction?

chromyl chloride in DMSO solution gives aldehydes from primary alcohols, although I'm not sure offhand if its selective for benzylic alcohols or not, might be, but I don't THINK so.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:42:21 AM »
Is this for the synthesis question you posted earlier?  What did you come up with as a final answer?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Ak

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 05:13:10 PM »
@ azmanam:

its kinda for tht question because i was wondering if i could use the Cro3 and acid work up to make an alcohol to an aldehyde but the question my prof used this in was a different question...i did try the question and i came up with an answer, im just not sure if u can grignard this: MgBr - C - CH3
                            ||
                            CH2

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
Interesting route.  Good work on a tough question.  Why not Jones the 2o alcohol and save PCC for the last step?  Also, I'd be afraid you'd have trouble stopping the haloform reaction at the mono bromide.  What about aldol, oxid. then double wittig?  I'm also a little concerned about the triple elimination.  With the free alcohol I'd be wary of forming epoxides as side products. Have you already turned it in?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Ak

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »
ya ive already handed it in....but its not worth tht much so i can lose a couple of marks...but i cant jones it because i have no idea what that is as it wasnt taught to us, and the aldol way never occured to me because i just learned it and forgot about it...and my prof said that the triple elimination is fine for this course as its not really that advanced.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
Jones is the name of the oxidation with CrO3.  When you have a secondary alcohol, it is not reduced to a carboxylic acid, but stops at the ketone.  So you could have saved your more mild oxidation for when you needed it and used the Jones oxidation for the secondary alcohol.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »
Jones reagent is CrO3 with sulfuric acid.  Sometimes called chromic acid, H2CrO4

As for the triple elimination, since you've already turned it in, you could protect the alcohols with TMS or TES groups, eliminate with no problems, then oxidize straight to the aldehyde under Swern conditions (DMSO, oxalyl chloride, NEt3) without deprotecting first.  Swern conditions are known to simultaneously deprotect smaller silyl ethers and oxidize to the aldehyde in one operation.

I think what was giving me so much trouble with your problem is that it seems like there should be some concise way to put the molecule together.  This is what we would call a 'step-y' synthesis.  not technically incorrect, but a lot of steps, and not very efficient.  But you're not in it for efficiency, just proof of concept, so your synthesis is probably fine.

Sponsored Links