April 20, 2024, 01:57:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: galvanic vs electrolytic cells  (Read 3854 times)

Offline acidball

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
galvanic vs electrolytic cells
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
regarding these cells....why is the cathode positive and anode negative in a galvanic cell? and why is it flipped in an electrolytic cell?

the explanation i've heard (and that i think is kind of weak) is that since a galvanic cell operates spontaneously, the electrons are doing what they want do, namely going towards a positively charged electrode (the cathode in this case), whereas in an electrolytic cell, you are forcing the electrons against their will, meaning they are going to a negative electrode.

that explanation to me seems more like a memory aid than the true reason why the cathode is positive in a galvanic cell and negative in an electrolytic cell. can anyone explain to me the true basis for this? thanks!!

Offline acidball

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: galvanic vs electrolytic cells
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:09:31 AM »
can anyone help me with this? it would be much appreciated! thanks in advance...

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: galvanic vs electrolytic cells
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:06:10 AM »
hey!

it is actually due to the connection to battery. In order to make the reaction spontaneous, you will connect anode to the positive terminal and cathode to the negative terminal of the battery. This is so that electron flow will be the same as conventional flow of current. think what will happen if you do the opposite? Is it feasible?
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links