April 19, 2024, 09:56:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: LN2 Ice Cream  (Read 9719 times)

Offline MrGameAndWatch

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
LN2 Ice Cream
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
I hear that people make IceCream With LN2 (liquid Nitrogen) I wondering If It is safe to eat the Ice Cream after your done makeing it? Oh and can someone give me a link to the recipe? THX

I was also wondering if its saft to totch LN2 for a few seconds?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: LN2 Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »
Do not touch liquid nitrogen!!!!! exclamation point !!!

It will be safe and eatable. That is though, I would let the ice cream warm back up some, -150oC (-321oF) is probably not good for the mouth.

Just google 'liquid nitrogen ice cream".

Offline MrGameAndWatch

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »
THX So much, I was woried I was gona die! well I saw people drinking LN2 and totching it too. So thats where I got the idea. Thx again! and I was also wondering what if you accidently got some on you? or would it evaporate before it can burn you? Thx

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »
The whole evaporate before it burns you thing doesn't make sense.  When something evaporates, it carries away heat.  Just don't get it on you, it will burn, fairly quickly =P

Offline MrGameAndWatch

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:20:29 PM »
Alright I got It now

LN2 + Me = OWWWWWWWW!!! Not Good

lol Thx

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 03:51:53 AM »
Ice cream made with LN2 is allot smother. Because the the cream is frozen ALOT quicker, the ice crystals don't have so long to form, therefore you get more finer crystals rather than fewer spikeyer ones.

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:23:48 AM »
My school science department(high school) has been arranging liquid nitrogen ice cream making enrichment course every year. I didn't get to participate(the slots was taken up fast!), but they had posted a few pictures on it. Unfortunately, i cannot show you because it is only accesible through my account. Gloves are told to be worn when touching liquid nitrogen and its safe to eat. I had an ingrown toe nail on my toe few years back and the doctor applied liquid nitrogen(ITS REALLY COOL =p). There are other enrichment courses in my school such as 'eating glass', i think is using crystals to make lollipops such that it looks like as though you are eating glasses.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:50:58 AM »
Gloves are told to be worn when touching liquid nitrogen

Some say it is better not to wear gloves when pouring  -  in case it gets trapped in the glove  -  then it will burn severely.   Without the glove it evaporates off the skin very fast and you've less chance of sustaining an injury.    When decanting from large tanks though a nozzle - then it's best to wear thermal gloves as the nozzle / pipe gets VERY cold and (being made of metal) will not evaporate when it touches you, but will burn.

The whole evaporate before it burns you thing doesn't make sense. 

Yes it does - it's so fast.  I've seen it done.  NOT recommended though just in case!!!

Good advice!!!!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »

The whole evaporate before it burns you thing doesn't make sense. 

Yes it does - it's so fast.  I've seen it done.  NOT recommended though just in case!!!

How is that?  The only way I could see that being possible is if it actually evaporated on the way to your hand, or at least, all but a very small amount evaporated on the way to your hand.

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »

How is that?  The only way I could see that being possible is if it actually evaporated on the way to your hand, or at least, all but a very small amount evaporated on the way to your hand.

Well it evaporates SOOO fast that it really doesn't stay in contact with your hand for that long (split seconds). It's like the same way you can pass your hand through a bunsen flame without being burnt. (don't try this if you've not done it before).   We are talking about splashes here  -  not prolonged pouring of the N2.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »
But no matter how quickly it evaporates, it still has to get the same amount of heat to go into the gas phase from the liquid, so could it be preferentially be getting that heat from the environment outside the hand, when it's poured in small quantities?  Or is the specific heat of N2 so low that a hand can transfer more than enough heat to the N2 to get it to evaporate without harming the hand?

Offline MrGameAndWatch

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 11:25:12 AM »
so no gloves?

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:29:50 AM »
Thermal gloves would be good, just wear ones that come up to your elbow.

Offline MrGameAndWatch

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »
dont got any of those, should I where a winter coat?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »
Your main goal is to not have any contact with it. And please wear good safety goggles! Any contact with your eyes will be very bad. You will be blind.

Like anything bad for you, it is the amount. Truthfully if you got a small drop on you it would probably be fine (as long as it is not in the eyes). But a larger amount is dangerous.

If you do get any on your clothing, remove the clothing or pull it away from the skin immediately! Drop any expensive piece of glassware you have to, to do this.

I have seen arguments between professors if gloves are good or bad. I say gloves, because I know I am quick enough physically and mentally to safely drop what I am doing (i.e, not spill more liquid nitrogen on my self or some strong acid on my self or somebody else, etc) and remove the gloves.

One of the easiest and best things to do is work with as small amounts as possible to reduce any risk.

Sponsored Links